Oriented Strand Board

OSB stands for Oriented Strand Board. I learned that this week, and I doubt, as Chris says, that I am the only person on the face of the planet that has ever wondered what OSB stood for. Next I want to know why 16 penny nails are called 16 penny nails. I can't help it that I ask a lot of obnoxious questions.

Anyhow, I used a lot of OSB this week working with a group of college students from Martin Luther Chapel at Michigan State University. I mainly worked on the roof because there is just something about roofing--I love it. Probably because it means I get to climb up high and get really dirty. The old roof was just this sheet of metal that had a bunch of cracks in it, and when I feel like I'm going to fall through it with every step, you know it's bad. So, we built her an over-roof--we just ignored everything underneath and built the new one on top! The rafters got way jacked up in the process (long story, at least partially my fault even though Chris tells me otherwise), but we finished by Thursday (b/c the group didn't work on Friday and went to White Sands) and you can't even tell now! Our handiwork was put to the test right away too because it POURED on Wednesday!

The inside isn't completely finished, so we'll work there some more this week...another group of college students on spring break is coming in tonight (driving, which meant 1 airport run today--we were done by 9 am!!!). That's OK by me though, because the family is super-nice. The lady's name is Maria, and her husband and 4 kids also live there. She thanks us like 6 times a day, and one day she brought us OJ, grapefruits, and donuts. I have taken to calling her youngest daughter Alejandra my "amiguita." She's 2, and she tells me "Hola!" like every time she sees me. She is also full of hugs and kisses and we let her help us sometimes too. She calls me "la muchacha" because I don't think she knows my name but her mom is always telling her to tell the muchacha "bye bye" or "Dios te bendiga" or whatever or give the muchacha a hug.

I guess that's about it for right now, I am just about done in the office and then I'm going to go enjoy some more BBQ chicken that Chris is making before I do orientation...it was so good we decided to have it this week too. We'll probably eat in his freshly-tiled living room--that was yesterday's project. It took ALL day and I admit that I don't like tiling as much as roofing, but I must say for a couple of amateurs it looks pretty good. And it doesn't smell like dog anymore ;)

Oh and please keep praying for Enrique, and also a little girl named Esmerelda with some sort of spinal condition from San Lucas...Chris's mom and some other people from her church are sponsoring back surgery for her so she is flying to Shriner's Hospital in Salt Lake City and the operation is this week. You should watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition Sunday night too (after selection Sunday...Go Duke!) because it is the episode from El Paso. We think they should have picked one of the homes in Sparks, but this house is on Lee Trevino and I drive by it every time I go to and from the airport!

Until next time, blessings!

This is why she needed a new roof...

The new house numbers and letters were my job because that was my idea.



Mi amiguita :)


And then a bunch of me on the roof...I feel like there are a lot of pictures of me doing this...

It was cold!!! OK like 59 but it was WINDY!!!


2 weeks in a row...no way! ;) That's Matt, by the way, one of the leaders of the Martin Luther Chapel group and part of team roof.

Comments

chill said…
It's not that you are the only one who ever wondered, you are just the only one who ever really cared. Just kidding. :) oh, and by the way, go Tarheels, blah duke.