Gooooooooool

OK, I'm not a futbol announcer. I have reason to holler at the top of my lungs like one, though. As soon as I learned that the LAC regional missionary conference started on August 6, my personal aim was to go. And I did! I would have been just as hardcore about support-raising regardless, but a target date gave my goal-oriented self something to shoot for. 

My colleagues live anywhere from Montreal to Montevideo, so meeting them all in one place - and sharing time in the Word and fellowship with one another - was what I was after. Approximately 110 people gathered at the Memories Splash resort in Punta Cana on Monday. Someone keenly pointed out that the later one arrived, the more of a red carpet welcome he/she got! The next three days began and ended with worship, concluding with Divine Service on Thursday afternoon. Rev. Dr. John Bombaro led us in a large group Bible study on the distinctive advantages of Christianity through the lens of early Church history each morning; we split along gender lines in the afternoons. Dcs. Tiffany Manor employed ample small group discussion time in guiding the women through Philippians. Afternoons were free to enjoy the resort's many amenities. Friday was a "fellowship day" for unwinding and connecting sans any scheduled activities. 

Much of the group left on Saturday, but the regional leadership team, of which I'm a part, stayed for two days of business meetings. I relished these as a crash course in our strategic objectives and tactics. I mostly observed and absorbed, but I can already see how my God-given gifts will allow me to make a significant contribution to the challenges before us. 

All in all, the conference confirmed that I work with a seriously incredible, servant-hearted team. I feel cared for and valued by my supervisors and peers alike and am eternally grateful to have been called to this region. Here's a pictorial look at my first full week on the job: 

LAC missionaries and families gathered for worship. 

Yes, that's my sister! Four days post-deployment, Kara joined me in Punta Cana as part of the conference childcare team. Missionary kids were well cared for by dedicated volunteers who gave up six days and paid their own way so parents could take full advantage of the morning and afternoon sessions. As short-term servants, they'll fall under my purview next year. 

My priority was bonding with my fellow missionaries, but I made sure to carve out time for some sister dates like this picturesque early morning stroll. 


Kara did NOT, however, join me the day I got up at 5 am to watch the sun rise...100% worth it. 

Pro-tip: stay at an all-inclusive resort at least once in your life. The buffet was my mealtime go-to, but occasionally I indulged in one of the sit-down options and dined on works of art like this. 

And this. 

We rearranged the room into a more discussion-friendly configuration for Saturday and Sunday. 

Your Latin America & the Caribbean regional leadership team!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments