Dr. Phil, LAC Style

Among a slew of visitors in Santiago this week is Dr. Phil! Not THAT Dr. Phil, Dr. Phil Frusti, Director of LeadaChild, a LCMS RSO based in the Kansas City area whose mission is to share the love of Jesus with children around the world through Christian education. At the invitation of Regional Director Ted Krey, Dr. Phil and his wife Cassandra made an unprecedented visit to the Dominican Republic. He led a 2-day workshop for our Lutheran school teachers and chaplains Thursday and Friday, and today is the second day of a workshop for incoming seminary students. I had the distinct pleasure of interpreting for him Thursday, Friday, and yesterday mornings.

He's clearly worked with an interpreter before and made my job easy, although having done a midnight airport run on Wednesday night, I was thankful for afternoon reinforcements on Thursday!


Both groups practiced creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking with a team building activity:  who can build the tallest [freestanding] tower using marshmallows and spaghetti? Studies have shown that two groups excel at this: engineers and kindergarten students. 



Part of the hospitality extended to the Frustis was a weekend getaway to Costambar. I was invited along and had the opportunity to ride the only cable car in the Caribbean on Saturday afternoon. I learned that the attraction is a former Trujillo-era military outpost that was quickly abandoned due to poor visibility. I understand why! 


I was dubious when the sign said you could take a picture with Jesus and feel His hand on your head...

Can you spot me? 

I've already been to the airport this morning and am off for Costambar again, for half a day or so, in a few. This afternoon, my attentions will shift to hunkering down for Dorian. Please keep all of the PR and DR missionaries in your prayers in the coming days, and rest assured that I'll be blogging about my experience. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments