Venid, fieles todos

Venid, fieles todos. O Come, All Ye Faithful. The words of a familiar hymn invite us to come - to come, "joyful and triumphant" to "behold Him / Born the king of angels." And so I went this Christmas, not to kneel before a manger in Bethlehem, but to the "mangers" where I see the king of angels: the font, the Word, the Sacraments (c.f. Regional Director Rev. Ted Krey's Christmas Day sermon at Iglesia Luterana Cordero de Dios). 

I was extended a similar invitation to come by numerous missionary friends and colleagues, such that I barely spent any of Christmas Eve or Christmas Day alone. 

A timeline of events:

12/24, 9:30 am: Worship at Iglesia Luterana Pueblo Nuevo

A picture with Jamielynn and Tirzah turned into one with all the women and girls in attendance!

Not to be outdone...



I passed at least five roadside lechón (whole roast suckling pig) stalls on the way home.

12:00 pm: Facetime with my family while they opened presents at my brother & sister-in-law's house

2:30 pm: Baking with Tirzah (and MK Esther, for her secret Santa, briefly) + keeping her company while she got organized for 6 weeks out of the country

6:00 pm: Dinner (charcuterie) with the Kreys, followed by their traditional evening liturgy: hymn sing > recitation of Luke 2 > circle prayer (kneeling) > "Silent Night" > "We Wish You a Merry Christmas > hugs > presents!



10:00 pm: Tinkey-Flores Christmas Eve party w/ the seminary community

One of the seminary students asked for my help buying and wrapping an outfit for 13 mo. old Ellie. 

In the absence of a candlelight service at any of our mission churches, Deac. Caitlin coordinated a brief devotional before the secret Santa gift exchange.


12/25, 2:00 am: Bed!

10:30 am: Worship at Iglesia Luterana Cordero de Dios

1:00 pm: Lunch & Scrabble with Chaplain & Deac. Naumann

6:00 pm: Dinner (turkey and all the fixings) with the Kreys...and Boggle! (For that record, that's Scrabble AND Boggle in ONE day, and neither was my idea,)

Praise God for my brothers and sisters in Christ here in Santiago and the caring, welcoming team of which I'm a part. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments