Oh, ho, ho, it’s magic

The team I mentioned in my last post made up for their late arrival with a late departure. On the bright side, they didn't have to leave for the airport at 3 am this morning, but they did have to make an unplanned 2 1/2 hr. drive to Santo Domingo and aren't looking forward to spending the night at JFK. I'm hopping on to cap off my most recent stint as a wannabe limeña while I await news of their (hopefully) on-time departure at 7:20 pm. 

A member of the vision clinic team asked me if I ever get bored of doing the same cultural activities with teams. Answer: yes. To combat the repetitiveness, I'm constantly on the lookout for new places to take groups. It's easiest in the DR, but I'm ever expanding my repertoire in the other countries in which I work, too. My general practice is to scout out a place before I'm supposed to look like I know what I'm doing, but I've been known to use volunteers as guinea pigs on occasion :)

A previous Peru team read about the Magic Water Circuit on a travel site. It didn't work into their schedule, and it didn't work into the ORLC schedule when I'd planned on it, either, but I found an alternative window on the team's last night. The anticipation of an early morning departure understandably knocked out 3/4 of them, but two diehards and I called an Uber and hit the town. 



Part of the draw is beautiful park grounds with multiple impressive fountains that morph in both shape and color. 




Then, three times each evening, the "Fantasy Fountain" becomes a wall of water that doubles as a projector screen for a ~15 min. dramatic interpretation of Peru's history. 






Why did it take me FIVE trips to make it here!? Now that I've had the chance to do some recon under low-stress circumstances and know what it's all about, I'll be including the Magic Water Circuit on as many Peru itineraries as I can.

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments