RETREATFERENCE

LAC's annual conference is the one week when

....everyone returns from vacation and home service; 
....missionary friends who live thousands of miles apart get to share hugs instead of heart emojis; 
...we English speakers get our fill of worship in our heart language; 
...our minds are stretched as we noodle through the Scriptural context of the theme verse together; 
...a team of volunteers who've maybe never met comes together to make sure missionary kids from infants to teens hear of their Savior's great love for them in age-appropriate ways; 

...and the whole lot of us takes over the "quiet" pool that's like bathwater buuuuuuuuuuut has a swim-up bar!

It was my 5th conference, and my 5th time to Memories Splash, an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, DR. 

Lynae, a long-term short-term volunteer in the regional business office, rode with me. Her husband came to visit for the week, which they spent at a neighboring resort. 

That team of volunteers? I'm in charge of them and thusly most of my pictures are of them. We gathered for an introduction/orientation on Monday, arrival day, before any kids entered the mix. Team leader and DCE Shanna (left) opened us with a word of prayer. 

It was fun to watch the group - largely made up of college students - gel; by the end of the week, a few of the girls had a sleepover! It was Daniel's 2nd time in the DR, having been here in January with a group of peers from Concordia Seminary St. Louis.

I've known one of the volunteers, Isabelle, for 20+ years - or at least her family. I tried to catch up with her daily even though she naturally fell in with her people and I with mine (and we knew we'd have plenty of solo time when she came back to Santiago with me for a few days!). 

Some of my people. 

Isabelle's studying to be a teacher, so I'm SO glad I finally convinced her that she'd love this opportunity (which she did). 

I popped in to check on the oldest group of kids one day in the middle of boys vs. girls Bible trivia! I sooooo wanted to tell the girls that Ruth was born into the kingdom of Moab and the boys that Abraham was 100 when Isaac was born. 

Another time, I convinced Goodness to take a picture with me with one of the fun props her group made. 

More of my people. And I don't want to hear you judging me for wearing a winter coat in the conference room. 


Thanking the volunteers on Thursday, the last day of conference programming. We quite honestly could not put on the conference without them. 

That afternoon, we celebrated Divine Service instead of Vespers. The volunteers had worked with the kids on a song to share with the group. 

My 2 beautiful friends Tirzah (left) and Jamielynn (right) were consecrated as deaconesses!

Friday is purely for fellowship. People go their separate ways (mine involved a book and a lounge chair) but come together for a beachside cocktail hour before dinner. 






Most missionaries, volunteers, and speakers leave Saturday sometime. Pastor Krey (center) and I gathered the volunteers for breakfast before the airport shuttle pickups started so he could share some of the avenues for continued involvement in LAC with them. 

"Most" did not include the regional team. We stayed on for two days of meetings. August is largely for catching up on each others' work over the past six months; we'll regroup for three days in February in Panama to really put our thinking caps on. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments