Have a Heart

This past Saturday YLM had its annual Have a Heart volunteer recognition luncheon. Have a Heart is held each year on a Saturday around Valentine's Day in honor of all the people who give of their time, talents, and treasures to make the mission a better place, and as usual Chris cooked (BBQ chicken, corn, macaroni and cheese) and a weekend servant event from Rio Rancho, NM, provided extra hands to help with service and clean-up. They also generously purchased all of the decorations you see in the photos below. The 15 people they brought were a HUGE help, and it wasn't just me that noticed how helpful and hardworking they were. After being Chris's sous chef all morning, it was a wonderful feeling to sit down and enjoy my lunch, the Mariachi San Pablo serenade, and the program portion of the event. Elvira and Stephen emceed; here are some of the stats they had calculated for 2009:

1000+ volunteers
45,000+ volunteer hours
4 people with 2000+ hours
1 person with 700+ hours

The 4 with over 2000 hours and the 1 with over 700 were called up to the front and given a special thank-you. Yes, one of them was me if you were curious, although I probably shouldn't count; I live right here on campus and while I don't exactly get paid for what I do, it's kind of my job :) Anyways, here are a few photos from Saturday:

Hungry volunteers!

Hi guys! Maybe you tell from this picture and maybe you can't but the whole Rio Rancho group even wore matching black pants and white shirts!

Ivan and Millie Hirsch, two of our winter volunteers, looking very festive and enjoying Chris's yummy cooking.

China (Elvira's daughter whose actual name is Mariana) and I.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments