Watching the mail...

I am officially approved for a SENTRI pass! Chris is too...Genaro's application is still pending review. But, that means that as soon as our I.D. cards come in the mail, we can start using the express lanes on the bridges (or maybe just one bridge, we're not sure yet)! I think they'll probably arrive sometime next week or the week after, but we're scrutinizing the mail every day just in case.

The first step was filling out an application online. Then, I had to check back everyday, and once the status was changed to "Conditionally Approved," I had to schedule an in-person interview with a CBP officer. Mine was this past Tuesday at 11:45 am...er, 2:00 pm (government office)...so over the weekend I made sure I had all the required documents together in a file folder. Part of why it took so long after I got there and signed in on Tuesday was that the computer system was down, but when I FINALLY got called back, my officer pretty much asked me everything that was on my online application, I guess to be sure I would give the same answers. I had to sign my name a couple of times and be fingerprinted (!), and then he inspected my vehicle (FYI their parking lot is NOT made for large vans) and put a sticker on the windshield.

Funny story--when I was filling out the online application, I entered the year/make/model/VIN/etc. for my Honda instead of the vehicles I wanted to drive across the border. I thought it was weird that they wanted the VIN of my car...oh me and my lack of common sense! It didn't even occur to me that I had goofed until I was helping Genaro fill out his online application! And of course you could not at that point make any edits. Thankfully, my officer was nice about it and just entered all of the info on the mission's green van for me, and now that I'm fully approved I'm able to get back in to the computer system and add the other vehicle that I often drive, the mission's white van.

The last step after doing that (once our cards get here) will be buying "tickets." Instead of paying the toll each time you cross, you buy tickets that cost the same amount as the toll but are purchased up front. I suppose that's how you "register" your card with the Mexican authorities. You can also get a yearlong pass but we don't cross often enough when there aren't servant events to make that worthwhile.

The officer who interviewed me told me that he was also signing me up for "Global Entry." That means that in certain U.S. airports I can use the Global Entry kiosks instead of waiting in customs lines. Not that I'm planning on flying internationally much in the next 5 years before it expires--Denver doesn't have the kiosks so I can't try it out on the way back from Canada in a few weeks--but hey, cool!

It feels good to be a "trusted traveler!"

Until next time, blessings!

Comments