Tropical Storm Erin

The weather phenomenon (what exactly is a "post-tropical cyclone?") bearing my name may have vanished from the NHC's radar, but I was spinning in circles and running at the speed of hurricane force winds all last week being the hostess with the mostest.

Joining short-term volunteer Krista Hahn and the couple at the helm of LeadaChild was Krista Kafer, a member of the Benevolence Committee at a CO congregation that supports the Church's work in LAC through me. She affectionately became "Krista #2" so as not to cause confusion. Although we had never met, I readily agreed to introduce her to my life and ministry when my point person within the congregation promised me she wasn't weird (she's not)! "Very cool lady actually," he wrote; I heartily agree. In between church activities, exploring Santiago and surrounding areas, Bananagrams and double solitaire marathons, and SEVEN trips to the airport in the span of a week, we chatted nonstop about her various freelance gigs (including a public policy column she writes for The Denver Post!), world travels (past and upcoming), and hobbies ranging from antiquing to beekeeping.

Both Kristas came to Bible study at Iglesia Luterana Pueblo Nuevo mere hours after Krista #2 touched down in the DR. She claimed she only knew 50 words of Spanish, but, aided by my intermittent summaries, she surprised herself by getting the gist of the study. 

Tuesday beach day!

My pollo a la plancha with tostones. The Kristas shared a whole fried fish, head and everything. 

All week I balanced playing tour guide and taxi driver against my "normal" workload. I love donning each of my many hats, but I'm not Superwoman, nor do I play her on TV. A nagging stressor from pre-Krista #2 made me (I imagine) not much fun to be around Tuesday afternoon until I finally locked myself in my room around 8 pm to work on my computer for about two hours. 

Wednesday, we visited Santiago's iconic "Monument." Although I've been there a handful of times now, some of the paintings inside caught my eye afresh. 

No trip downtown - OK, no trip to Santiago, if you ask me - is complete without a stroll down (or up) Calle Dr. Eldon. Almost every surface is muralized, every which way you look. 

We packed a picnic dinner and headed to Palmar for evangelism at the play and a 7:30 pm Divine Service Wednesday night. Coach Anibal shared that the young man on the far left had just been signed by the Dodgers, and the one on the far right, by the Phillies. 

Krista #1's pillowcase dresses and cross pins brought smiles all around. 


Thursday, we got a Dominican cooking lesson from Sandra: berenjena guisada (stewed eggplant - my request, although I'm not sure if I'll brave roasting eggplants over an open flame on my own...). Taste > appearance!


Krista #2, Johanna, me, and Krista #1 on what we thought was Krista #2's last night in Santiago. 

While it took two tries and almost getting stuck in Fort Lauderdale for three days (moral of the story: NEVER fly Spirit Airlines), Krista #2 left with what she came for: a better idea of how to pray for and engage with foreign missionaries and the organizations they represent, both personally and as an advocate within the congregation. It was a joy and privilege to see her eyes opened as she processed what #missionarylife looks like up close, and I'd gladly repeat the experience with a visitor from YOUR church...as long as he/she is also not weird ;)

Until next time, blessings!

Comments