So, How'd You Do?

So, how did I do? You tell me.

Key:
๐Ÿ™‚ = non-work block
 X = work block


Once again, I made it. I'm not surprised, though; my nature is such that I'm going to redouble my efforts when faced with "failure." Two differences that visually stand out between last time and this time:
  • 0 days with all ๐Ÿ™‚
  • More late-night working (4 ๐Ÿ™‚ vs. 1)
To dig a bit deeper, here's the behind-the-scenes:

Sunday, October 6
6:00 am: Turned my phone alarm off and mindlessly opened my unread email. When the preview revealed a work-related one, I closed the Mail app like a hot potato!

8:37 am (getting ready for church): If it's possible to sin in "thought, word, and deed," does thinking about work during a non-work block make it, for all intents and purposes, a work block?

3:47 pm: New rule: answering questions from my direct report is not going to count as work, this week or ever.

8:01 pm: I started blogging as soon as NLDS game 3 ended (donor communication = work), knowing I was already going to tackle an urgent little work-related something later on.

9:00 pm: Eh, since 6-10 is already a work block, I might as well knock out one more non-urgent but quick thing.

Monday, October 7
9:27 am: It's amazing how productive I can be when intentionally NOT working until 10:00 am. I've washed a load of sheets, voted in the Thrivent board of directors election, and downloaded a new ebook to my Kindle.

12:48 pm: I'm halfway there and it's only been a day and a half?!?

6:18 pm: Pulled up some work on my computer to distract myself from the intensity of NLDS game 4...!

Tuesday, October 8
6:16 am: Fired off a quick work-related email reply, but 6-10 am was already going to be shot by a 9:00 am meeting.

6:06 pm: Argh. I didn't mean to be working this late. I blame Facebook for unpublishing my EM in the DR page!

Wednesday, October 9
6:00 am: I've been up for an hour already since I'm leaving now to drive Cindy to the capital for the next step in the residency process. Technically, I'll be "working" straight through until I pull into my garage when we get back. This day is a microcosm of a week with a team on the ground, aka 24/7 "work" from the time their plane touches down until I drop them off at the airport.

5:02 pm: Catching up on email...but is it really work if I'm doing it while watching the Cardinals score TEN runs in the first inning of NLDS game 5?

8:26 pm: Sent ONE urgent work-related email, so I had to be honest and put an X in the 6-10 pm block. Will my early lead hold up???

9:36 pm: My phone dinged with an email. Even though this block is already a lost cause, it can wait.

Thursday, October 10
9:47 am: Taking my computer over to the office and opening up a Word document in anticipation of taking minutes at a 10:00 meeting doesn't mean I have to count 6-10 am as a work block, OK? Glad we agree on that.

Friday, October 11
8:46 am: Once again, answering a question from my direct report via WhatsApp is doing what any manager would do, or what any missionary would do for any new missionary, not working.

10:07 am: Taking new missionaries to the capital (see Wednesday) is clearly work. What about taking them to the grocery store? For what it's worth, they don't have cars. If it's work now, at what point does it become basic human kindness?

8:56 pm: NLCS game 1 commercial breaks were made for thank-you note writing!

Saturday, October 12
10:32 am: Aaaaaaand a spontaneous visit from a friend rescues the 10am-2pm block from the brink of becoming a work block!

3:13 pm: I HAVE to deal with some long overdue plans for a team in Jamaica NEXT WEEK, though!

This exercise isn't something I plan to implement permanently, but these annual barometers do temporarily heighten my awareness of how I steward God's good gift of time. They draw the attention of others, too, and give me a measure of accountability:

Sunday, October 13
Fellow missionary to her husband, while sitting at lunch after church (with no drinks b/c the restaurant ran out of cups...?!?) as the conversation takes a dangerous turn toward the work-related: "Careful, she'll have to count this as a work block!"

Until next time, blessings!

Comments