As American as Arepas

My mom asked me yesterday if the missionary community was celebrating the 4th of July, pandemic day 474, with hot dogs and apple pie. Not exactly...

It was a day of celebration, though. Regional project manager Cindy (front and center, in fuchsia) is leaving us Wednesday, so the Pueblo Nuevo congregation threw her a despedida with cake, gifts, and a prayer of sending. 

Post-church roomie selfie! Cindy and I have been compaƱeras de piso since I moved in with her Thursday; I'm taking her to the airport tomorrow night at 11:30 pm. Note in the background that I did put the star ornaments back on my all-occasion tree. Go ahead, be impressed that I a) knew where they were; and b) could access them. 

A very Venezuelan Independence Day arepa feast courtesy of Venezuelan seminary student Carlos and wife Berkis. Arepas are pillowy pockets of corn masa that can be filled with...anything. We did grilled sausage & pork, avocado, llanero cheese, and garlic sauce for drizzling or dipping. Curiously, I also had arepas (avocado and shredded chicken) for lunch today (thanks, Courtney!)...not complaining.

Until next time, Happy Venezuelan Independence Day (July 5, incidentally), and blessings!

Comments

Martha said…
Gloria al bravo pueblo!!! Thanks for sharing, Erin. Yummy arepas, I guess I will have to pull out my Harina PAN and make some!