Just Across the River Bend

Last week, while gearing up for the longest of my road trips, I made 2 quick jaunts across the Mississippi to St. John's Lutheran Church in Chester, IL. One of the pastors at St. John's did his vicarage in the DR, and the congregation has remained supportive of the Dominican Republic Lutheran Mission in the years since. Chester is known as the home of Popeye; the cartoonist was born there and based the muscular, spinach-loving sailor and friends on people he knew in town. 

Monday evening, I was the featured speaker at the LWML's August meeting. I really need to up my purple game for LWML events!

One of the ladies, Alice (front row, 2nd from left), was kind enough to take me out for Mexican beforehand. Alice participated in the DR online mission education "trip" Courtney & I put on in November and hopes to volunteer in-person in 2022. Her mission heart is contagious. 

I had to be back in Chester Wednesday morning to lead chapel for the grade school kids, but given its proximity to St. Louis, I elected to make the drive twice instead of staying Monday AND Tuesday nights. My first of SIX chapel services - just wait! - centered on the idea of partnership in the Gospel. 



Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Pastor Gross said…
We're looking forward to your visit this side of the Mississippi again on September 19 when you visit us that afternoon at Bethelehem Lutheran, Petersburg, IL. We pray God's blessings upon your journies! <><