Hoop Dreams

Even after 6 years (tomorrow!), there are new experiences to be had in my city. 

I've long known there was a basketball team: los Metros de Santiago. I've been following them on Instagram for over a year. I've eyed their deserted arena often; it's next to the Águilas stadium and near Iglesia Luterana Pueblo Nuevo, an inner-city storefront congregation. 

It wasn't until earlier this summer, though, that billboards announcing the current season cropped up, and whoever handles the team's social media presence began posting regularly. Not one to muse that we should do something sometime without ever pulling the trigger, I decided then and there that I'd get a group together and go to a game. 

Information about the schedule, ticketing, parking, etc. wasn't forthcoming (yay high context cultures), so I was grateful for Yinet, a friend and member of Pueblo Nuevo who had an "in" through her brother and shepherded the Shavers, Tirzah, and I through the experience on Sunday afternoon. 

Gran Arena del Cibao.

I can just about guarantee these are the best (and cheapest  - RD$100) tickets I will ever have. 

The number of empty seats confirmed that this is indeed a baseball-loving island. Nevertheless, Yinet explained that there are eight basketball teams. Who knew? 

My seatmate Ryan munched on chips and a hot dog; vendors also hawked nachos, [microwave] popcorn, hamburgers, pizza, chocolate-dipped ice cream cones, and a cerveza I'd never heard of.

Play stopped mid-game when one of the players on the opposing team, the Santo Domingo Soles, scored his 3,000th point.

Aaaaaaand, 2 hours or so later, that's a winner (119-79...it really wasn't much of a game). L to R: me Tirzah, Yinet. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments