Turkey Day

Thursday might have been Thanksgiving Day, but today was most definitely Turkey Day!

The lesson of Thanksgiving transcends the 4th Thursday in November; Colossians 3:17 says, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." As Christians, our daily lives should be expressions of thankfulness. When I was looking for Bible verses about thankfulness, I found this really cool image of what happens in heaven when we offer God our gratitude: "Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being," (Revelation 4:9-11). I'd also like to point out that the verse of the day on BibleGateway.com was Psalm 126:1, 26: "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever."

But I like me some turkey! I've discovered here that I truly enjoy cooking and making people happy by by feeding them, so I prepared a full-on turkey dinner for 4 of my YLM companeros in addition to myself. It was apparently so tantalizing that they couldn't resist sneaking some "appetizers" during my ever-so-brief photo shoot ;) Starting from the stack of plates and moving counterclockwise there's the platter of turkey, mashed potatoes (black pot), extra stuffing, the stuffing that was inside the turkey, gravy, green bean casserole, maple glazed sweet potatoes, whole berry cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, apple pie brought by one of my guests, and whole wheat dinner rolls. YUM!


Until next time (an entry about our annual Thanksgiving servant event from CO--hopefully tomorrow), blessings!

Comments

Carol said…
It looks FABULOUS! I'll bet all your guests enjoyed it, and I hope that they all were appropriately thankful to you, even though a few days later than the official day.