Does it feel like Christmas?

Deep thought for the day: what does it mean to feel like Christmas? That is the burning question that has been on my mind lately, especially since people keep asking me. If we go back to kindergarten, feeling is made up of the five senses. 

✅ Sight: Homes and business started decking their halls in October. My house got in on the action shortly after Thanksgiving. 

✅ Sound: Radio stations here play the occasional Christmas song, but I never did find one that inundates you with it 24/7. I've been doing an OK job between YouTube, Spotify, hoopla, and the old iPod with my abundant collection of Christmas CDs loaded onto it, though. Our churches also have seasonal songbooks for Advent (and Lent).

 ❓  Taste: I spent way too much time decorating these for a cookie exchange tonight, but I have my doubts that Christmas Eve dinner will be my family's traditional lasagna.


🚫 Smell: You CANNOT replicate the scent of a live Christmas tree. Hard no.

🚫 Touch: The high today is 89. 'Nuff said.

Sooooo...sort of but not really? None of the churches here have Wednesday evening Advent services. I haven't wrapped a single present. I will not be doing any curling up by a fireplace in boots and a sweater with a steaming mug of cocoa.

Good thing Christmas isn't based on a feeling. Don't get me wrong. I treasure the sappy sentiments attached to so many things that only happen at this time of year, but I think the concept that our women's Bible study group is currently unpacking sheds some light on what I'm driving at: faith. The study is partly based on Hebrews 11:1:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

I have faith in my Savior, born as a babe in Bethlehem, even though I haven't found a [legal] way to stream Home Alone yet. I'm certain that He went on to die and rise for me even though there's a 100% chance that Christmas won't be white. 2 Corinthians 5:7 reiterates

...for we walk by faith, not by sight.

Not by sight...or sound, taste, smell, or touch. I'm currently being serenaded by Alvin and the Chipmunks, but this Christmas, I'm clinging to my confidence in the Reason for the season. Bearing that in mind, the Christmas "feeling" isn't something I haul out of my closet on Black Friday, it's a way of life that gives me my answer to the title question: a resounding "yes," every day. 

That's all :) No doubt I'll continue to meditate on this until December 25 and probably beyond, but I had to to articulate my musings thus far, and writing was the best way I knew how. Until next time, blessings!

Comments