Resort Recon

I debated sharing this, lest you think my missionary experience is all fun and games (spoiler: it's not). Anything that takes up two full days of my life seems to merit a post, though, so here goes.

Last Thursday and Friday, I accompanied Jamielynn (my friend and fellow missionary in charge of human care at the regional level) to Punta Cana to scout out three potential locations for LAC's regional conference this coming August. The conference is a critical piece of how the region cares for its workers, and selecting a venue that both meets our needs and allows us to be good stewards is critical to its success. I went along since I'll be coordinating the missionary kid childcare team and since Jamielynn and I worked well together planning the Venezuelan pastors' conference in October.

First up was the location of the 2018 conference, having undergone a complete overhaul in the four months since we were there. We felt it necessary to see the renovations with our own eyes and experience them firsthand via an overnight stay. Our designated representative had also changed, and we wished to sit down with her in person. "Grand Memories" (in lieu of Memories Splash) impressed us in every regard, as did our new rep. Official business aside, I'd be lying if I told you we didn't enjoy the pools, bars, restaurants, entertainment venues, and Christmas decorations!

.   



We had appointments at two additional venues the next day. Of several others I had researched, these were the ones that replied, provided a quote, and could host us on our desired dates. The second is off the list for a number of reasons (if you're looking to honeymoon in the DR, let me know!), but the third is a contender. We got back to Santiago around 10 pm on Friday night, after a six-hour drive that included an hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic in the capital. It only took us four and a half hours to get there!

Now, having provided the regional leadership team with photos and a side-by-side comparison, it's up to them to decide if a bowling alley (!!!) makes up for the lack of a water park and if the cost savings of switching locations merit abandoning our relationship with a place we know and would be going back to for the 3rd year. It's a win-win situation, really. Ultimately, the conference is about reconnecting with colleagues we may only see once a year, recharging with a little pampering, and rejoicing together in the Word. I'm excited to put my planning and organizational skills to use as part of the team that helps make all those things happen this year.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments