Always Be Prepared

What do the DR, Belize, Panama, Uruguay, and Montreal, Canada, all have in common? They're all home to one or more members of Latin America & the Caribbean's regional team. Spread out though we might be, we gather twice per year (January and August) to worship, learn, plan, dream, and strategize, and we usually wind up laughing, too.

The January meeting was held from Tuesday through Thursday of this week, and I have nothing but positive things to say about how we gelled together, engaged in fruitful debates, and looked to the future with optimism. I only have last August's meeting to use as a standard of comparison, but numerous individuals who have been around longer than me commented on the drastic improvements they see over just a year or two ago.



Each evening before Vespers, Regional Director Ted went around the circle and asked each of us what we took away from the day. On Tuesday, my comment was "always be prepared for the unexpected." That's because first thing Tuesday morning an emergency involving a member of the short-term team that's serving in Peru this week was brought to our attention. Without getting into specifics, suffice it to say that medical evacuation is required, so from then on out, a team of individuals from the DR, Peru, and St. Louis started touching base at least daily via Zoom. 

Despite my authoritative sounding title of regional Volunteer Coordinator, I've felt largely powerless throughout. My main function has been convening meetings and drafting agendas. Dealings with insurance and air ambulance companies have naturally fallen to others, and it didn't even make sense for me to provide in-person support. Rather, two of my colleagues took the first flight out. I guess I truly am "coordinating"? The important thing is that things are moving forward; it's looking like the evacuation will take place this morning. 

Please continue to lift up all involved, as well as my far-flung colleagues as they return to their respective fields of service and the entire LAC regional team as we execute our many plans to the glory of God. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments