"Er"bnb

I'm basically running a regular "Er"bnb over here. Two days after my parents and sister left, my friend Katherine arrived. She and I met at Lutheran High School South's freshman orientation in 2001 and have thus known each other waaaaaaay too long. Add visiting liturgical artist Kelly Schumacher into the mix and...

¡Bienvenida! (I won't tell if you won't, but in my excitement to see Katherine, I forgot to insist that she take the traditional picture by the heart. We faked it the day she left.)



She had two requirements for her vacation: 1) see me; and 2) see sand and waves. Check and check. Monday was a perfect beach day at Costambar with several other missionary families. 


Tuesday, I put her to work! Katherine speaks fluent Spanish, so we tag-team interpreted Kelly's lecture on liturgical art for the seminarians. 



Kelly, founder of Agnus Dei Liturgical Arts, is in the DR until January 31 to paint a commissioned work for the Mercy Center, teach at the seminary and at the DRLM's two schools, and lead an activity for the missionary kids. She ALSO happens to be Katherine's and my third musketeer. All of us went to high school together, but Kelly and I are also members of the same congregation in St. Louis and attended its parochial grade school together. 

Kelly and her interpreters. 

In contrast to my family's chock full itinerary, it was a pretty low-key week as is evidenced by the relative lack of pictures. I was able to catch up on work, and Katherine did some quality napping. As with my family, though, Katherine now has an understanding of what my community...and community of believers...here is like that only those who have experienced it can share. 

And now...silence. I love having guest rooms full of loved ones, but I also love the return to normalcy that ensues. 

I started the 2nd module of the Missionary Formation Certificate Program (What is Mission in a Global World?)
My January newsletter is scheduled to send tomorrow morning. 
I made a dentist appointment (I'm sure THAT'S going to be a story!). 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments