Staycation 2023

I'm back from my trip to Jamaica that almost wasn't and in my happy place aka hammock, here to tell you about my post-conference staycation with a friend whose family I've known since 2003. 

Isabelle's mom was with me on my transformational first mission trip; somehow, 20 years later, a mission trip is still at the center of the story. Iszy's now a Spanish/Education double major at CUC. In the weeks leading up to the start of her senior year, she served on the childcare team at LAC's regional conference and then came back to Santiago with me (after exploring the capital for a few days on her own while I ditched her to attend a regional meeting). She joins an elite inner circle of friends and family who've experienced my life - stayed at my house, ridden in my car, met my people. She had three #dominicangoals:

1. Go to 27 Charcos (an ecotour characterized by jumping down a series of waterfalls);
2. Eat my cooking; and
3. See a washing machine on the back of a moto

I picked her up Monday on my way home. We knocked out a grocery list on the car ride, hit the store after an afternoon nap, and checked off #2, no problem. That night, we met up with Tirzah and her niece, fellow childcare volunteer Hannah, for Lunes de Jazz, a casual, outdoor jazz concert that happens every Monday. We thought it started half an hour earlier than it did, so we had to go get gelato to kill time. Darn. 


Tuesday: #1 (BEFORE). Evidently I spoke highly of this place while FaceTiming with Iszy & family years ago!

And AFTER (we went back to change and return the helmets and life jackets!). 

That afternoon - after, again, a nap - we had Lynae over for dinner and a Spanish cocktail called tinto de verano on my newly furnished patio. Dessert was Reese's Oreo Balls. Iszy's family does an annual Christmas Cookie Baking Day in early December. Oreo balls are a standby, so when a reel about this remix popped up on my Instagram, trying them together was a no brainer. I mean, few things can be made worse by the addition of Reese's. 

You know you want to try it now, too. Pro tip: we decided the "minis" would actually be an ideal size. 

Wednesday morning we hit a Santiago must-see, in my book - the botanical garden - before making our way to the north coast for two nights at my boss's beach house. Our first order of business: lunch, then pool time. 

Later, we showered and headed into town to vet a potential new attraction for FOROs/teams (a chocolate factory touting free tours that's worth 45 min. if you're in the area, in our book) and explore the few block radius around the main square. 






We were there on a holiday (Restoration day, 8/16). 

The Puerto Plata malecón. 

Fancy leftover dinner and a movie (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood). 

Thursday, we drove up Pico Isabel de Torres en route to Cabarete, a pristine beach known for kite surfing. It was early and therefore quiet, but a guide we probably should have tipped knew exactly where to pose us for a series of Leaning Tower of Pisa-esque photos. 

Friday and time to leave for the airport came way too soon, but not without a morning swim. I can't wait to see how God uses this beautiful, talented lady who, somewhere along the line, did see a washing machine on a moto! I've watched her grow into who she is today, but getting to spend so much time together, just us, like we never really have before was a gift, as was truly unplugging from work, even though it made for a hectic few days afterward in the leadup to Operation: Passport Recovery...

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments