It Counts Because I Left the Airport

Current location: Panama City, at the veeeeeery beginning of quite possibly the longest trip I've ever taken (3 1/2 weeks). When all is said and done, I will have technically visited four countries (I'll do my best to keep the posts coming), counting my layover in Colombia on my way here because I chose to leave the airport and spend my overnight layover at a hotel. 

I flew out of Santo Domingo and was all gung ho to take the bus there Thursday afternoon. I double and triple checked the schedule online, aiming for one at12:50 pm. When I went to buy my ticket, though, the salesperson told me that one had left 5 min. ago, and the next was at 1:45. Not gonna work, buddy. I mean, technically it might have but with zero room for traffic, construction, Uber drivers cancelling, etc., soooooo no. 

Deep breath...

My first call was a taxista I've never personally used but that's driven colleagues of mine numerous times to see if he was by chance available right now and could pick me up at the bus station. Fabio to the rescue...he was!

God painted the sky for my last glimpses of the Dominican until the end of the month. 

¡Bienvenidos a Colombia!


My hotel's free shuttle showed up just as I got tired of waiting for it...in the cold...and the rain...and was about to call an Uber. After close calls on my way to Minnesota in May and Peru last month, I set three alarms so I'd be sure not to miss my self-imposed airport departure time of 4 am. 


I'm sure Bogota is lovely, but I wouldn't know; it was dark when I landed and barely light when I took off (and I had an aisle seat). I was on the ground in Panama and ready for a full day of St. John's, Grand Haven, MI, prep by just after 11 am. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments