Canada

Chris and I got back from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, on Monday afternoon. All in all, it was successful trip, albeit it a slightly different experience than I had expected. Everyone up there was super-excited to see us, but was also super-busy with exams, out-of-town conferences, and the like and therefore unavailable to host us or even come hang out and show us around. I felt a little bit like a burden even though the pastor who coordinated most of our trip kept insisting that we weren't. We wound up staying at a hotel, where we even got snowed in for an entire day! My first reaction was to wish I had my computer so I could have been working on my Statement of Doctrinal Belief or translating, but once I got over the fact that I simply did not have it with me, it was nice to relax some.

The two reasons why were in Canada in the first place were both homeruns, I think. First, we spent a few hours on Friday at Concordia Lutheran Seminary. We gave a presentation to the student body at large (20 strong, with only 4 professors!), and then met for some Q & A with just the group (8) that will be joining us for a servant event in a few weeks. It was good for them to get some face time with us I think, because the idea of short-term missions is a very new, and not entirely welcome, concept at CLS. Then Sunday we spent ALL day at Bethel Lutheran Church, helping with their youth fundraiser dinner. It's a HUGE deal. Chris made Texas BBQ (brisket, pork loin, baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, biscuits, watermelon, and JELL-O), and I was the sous chef, so that became the theme of the whole night. The youth all dressed in denim, plaid, and cowboy hats and they made the pastors try and line dance! Tickets are free with the understanding that people come because they want to support the youth program, but the event was "sold out." After dinner, the guy who leads the junior high trip to LaRonge, Saskatchewan, spoke and showed a video, and then it was our turn to speak about the mission, where Bethel has been sending a senior high group for years. We hear the event was a success--to the tune of 5 digits!

Here are some of the pictures I took with my NEW camera!

That's snow, not dirt, and that's the smaller pile after it has melted quite a bit! There is just too much to pile on the sides of the roads, so they have designated dumping areas. When it does all finally melt, so much sand and gravel will be left behind that it can be collected and re-used next year!

Announcement for the BBQ on the church doors.

What I woke up to last Thursday!

A little later in the day. I think Chris and I were the only 2 in the entire province that were excited to see it...they've had a rough winter.

Apparently this is enough of a problem for enough of the year that the hotel needs a permanent warning sign!

They LOVE their hockey up there. For the most part I could have been anywhere in the states, but I noticed cultural differences in the small things, like what people's kids were playing on the side of the gym during the Lenten dinner on Wednesday night: hockey. There was a basketball laying right there; if it had been my home church, they would have been shooting baskets, and if it had been San Pablo, they would have been kicking it like a soccer ball.

James(the pastor)'s son Nathan and I at dinner on Friday evening. We went to Montana's, where it was my "birthday" because they make you wear a moose hat.

At least they didn't make me stand on my chair like they did some others we saw.

Sunset as seen from Bethel--we attended the senior high youth's Survivor event on Friday night after dinner.

Don't tell Martin, James, Jose, Ruby, Nora, etc. that we had to look for charcoal at that orange store!

They have these posts with outlets on them in most parking lots, and cars all come with some kind of device that you plug in for keeping your engine warm when it's 40 below!

Bethel Lutheran Church.

A very Canadian food: poutine (French fries with cheese curds and gravy). Yummy! The other very Canadian culinary treat we became connoisseurs of is Tim Horton's. It's similar to Dunkin Donuts, and I cannot tell you how many people I saw walking around with cups from there. There is one on practically every street corner, and people literally block traffic to get in the drive-thru line in the mornings. We wound up stopping there every day, even walked to the one across from our hotel on our snow day. Their hot chocolate is super-thick and rich!

The water park inside West Edmonton Mall, the largest in North America.

And a skating rink! There's also an amusement park, a fire-breathing dragon in the movie theatre (that was out-of-order), sea lions, and TWO out-of-control food courts. The only cuisine not well-represented: Mexican!

No, actually this is not the first time I have been spotted cooking in church clothes and heels!

Chris firing up the smoker, which was actually purchased in Texas!

Alternative use for YLM newsletters?

Some other volunteers took over my biscuit making duties when we left to go eat lunch, but check out the Texas Longhorns, and Pacman!

After they're baked...I guess you get kinda bored after going through 14 boxes of Bisquick!

Kelsey sandwich!

Now a nice one of Kelsey, Chris, and I.

You know your food is good when the vegan is willing to slice the pork!

I am no good at not smiling!

Giddy up!

The buffet line. The youth served drinks and desserts at the tables.

There's a reason they're pastors (the middle 3 anyways)...not that I could do any better!

Chris and I talking up YLM! Note: we're in the sanctuary. Normally there would be rows of chairs where all the people are sitting, but for the fundraiser they set it up like a big dinner theatre.

A Canada wig for Chris and "I [maple leaf/heart] CANADA" buttons for both of us!

Now that I've collected another stamp in my passport (YES, we got Canada stamps!), it's time to stay in the states for awhile, although I'm not exactly staying put. We leave for Milwaukee/Chicago on Wednesday. I've been really cranking on my Statement of Doctrinal Belief so it's done by the time I have my LBT interviews on 5/2 and 5/3 (my deadline, not theirs); in fact, I think I'm going to try and finish it tonight (with the Cards game on Gameday)!

Until next time (if I don't blog again before then), Easter blessings!

Comments