Pescadores de Hombres

This past week I had the privilege of working with a tiny but mighty group. Inspired by her church's inaugural servant event in 2010, Jan Warren returned solo this year and brought her 12-yr. old grandson Andrew along. Knowing a little about Andrew, I know a trip like this was a special thing for the two of them to experience together. They were only here a couple of days, but they managed to plan and execute a 1-day VBS/lunch at Iglesia Luterana Sin Paredes in Juarez (Jan's group worked there last year and she couldn't imagine not going back), and even had time to help the other group (Campus Lutheran Church, Columbia, MO) at their worksite for a day. The VBS lesson was "Fishers of Men (Pescadores de Hombres)," based on Matthew 4:18-22. when Jesus calls his first disciples to leave their nets to be fishers of men and they follow without hesitation. There's never a dull moment with Jan around, so I had fun being a part of Jan and Andrew's time here by helping shop, cook, interpret, etc. Here are some pictures; make sure you read the captions for the most memorable stories!

Something to think about as you look at them was brought to my attention by Stephen: the whole thing start to finish took a few days out of the lives of Jan and Andrew, but it is one more integral stepping stone in the life cycle of a ministry that is just getting off its feet but holds great promise for the future. Hopefully that makes sense and helps to put things in perspective.

Andrew and I.

Sunday we went to the market and church at Santisima, then used the express lane on the bridge for the first time! It makes me absolutely giddy to pass all the cars waiting in line like we would have formerly had to do, but Jan is STILL giving us grief about having to climb the fence! I'm telling you, it's like a ladder! Read the full explanation here.

Andrew and Norah, from the Campus Lutheran group, by one of our "volcanoes" at the Hinojosa compound on Monday.

Jan helping prep the floor in the Hinojosas' addition for tile.

One of the first things I saw upon arriving at Sin Paredes on Tuesday was that Rosy had made some signage to supplement the flyers I gave her. At the bottom it says, "There will be surprises!" I love it.

We were welcomed with a choreographed dance to "Gozo al Mundo" (Joy to the World). Not exactly the right season, but neat nonetheless. I took a video of it that I am going to try and put on our new website once I figure out our YouTube password; I'll see if I can't link to it on here too.

Rosy leading the dance.

The congregation gave Jan and Andrew a gigantic token of their appreciation in this handmade banner that says "WELCOME MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH." It was presented to Jan as we were getting ready to leave but she inadvertently set it on the table and forgot it. Never fear though--Rosy hopped in her van and drove to meet us at the bridge with it, which happened in perfect timing. It had to be a God thing.

Jan giving an introduction. She thought she fumbled a little, but when she ran out of things to say, the kids started asking her about where she was from and what it was like there. They were enthralled when she gestured above her head to show how high the snowdrifts were. It turned into a few moments of totally unplanned dialogue--making connections in ways that sticking to a script would never afford.

Sin Paredes now offers English classes, taught by a wonderful young man named Alex. I don't know much about him and his role other than that, but here he is prodding Martha to introduce herself to Jan in English.

Martha and I.

The craft project was a beaded necklace. There were a couple icthus fish shaped beads, the center one of which said "JESUS" on it. I liked it because the cord seemed pretty durable, Jesus's name is the same in English and Spanish, and it's something that the kids will hopefully actually wear in their normal lives and use as a conversation starter for sharing their faith. Chris made almost 1-yr. old Luna one, although she seemed more interested in eating it! (Luna is Panchis's granddaughter. I drove she and her daughter-in-law Pati to the hospital when Pati went into labor at 3:00 am so I feel kind of like Luna is my adopted Mexican goddaughter.)

Rosy's son Isaac with his necklace.

I have a million pictures like this because once I busted out my camera, the kids wouldn't let me put it away! These are a couple of the cutest ones though.


I couldn't let them have all the fun!

Waiting for lunch. Note the tablecloths...fancy!

Menu: chicken tacos, rice, beans, Goldfish crackers, cherry JELL-O with fruit cocktail, and lemonade. Andrew and I were the lettuce and tomato crew for on top of the tacos. Rosy told me to plan on 150 people, but more like 200 came through. We had plenty of food, but we did run out of plates so we had to switch to bowls!

More goodies--toothbrushes and toothpaste--for those who stuck around even after dessert had been served. Nice face Andrew.

Pastor Martinez and Alex.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Carol said…
I am way too far behind in reading blogs (yours and Chris') to write a long response, but I have to say this Grandma and Grandson really impressed me. What a wonderful thing they did.