A Christmas Story, Mariachi Style

Mariachi San Pablo had a Christmas Concert this year, on Saturday night 12/17! They had one in 2009, but that was before the release of their Christmas CD, "Gozo al Mundo ~ Joy to the World." I told Ann and Miguel (the manager and director) that I would bake them each cookies if they had one in 2011 since I dearly wanted to hear a full-on concert, especially one featuring the sounds of the holidays, once more before I leave for good. I'm pretty baked goods didn't have anything to do with it, but I was really glad that they listened to me! The concert included all the songs from the Gozo CD, plus several new ones. My undisputed favorite is still "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel," although "Carol of the Bells" is a close second.  The group called it "A Christmas Story, Mariachi Style," and incorporated a skit with the Sunday school children at the beginning. You may remember that I changed my plane tickets home for Christmas so I could be there--so they put me to work too as the "Storyteller!" Basically I read the Christmas story to 3 of the kids, while the rest acted it out behind me--with appropriate songs interspersed in the drama. Since I was onstage, Chris's mom Carol was my designated photographer:

 The group was divided by section either side of the church: violins and trumpets on one side...

 ...guitars and bass on the other. 

 Me reading!

 P.S. Pajamas and a Santa hat = comfiest costume ever!

I even showed my listeners the pictures. 

The whole nativity scene.

 The stable animals were adorable but a little distracted by the hay...

 The kids all came back up front--with jingle bells and personalized Santa hats--for the last song: "Feliz Navidad." 

Afterwards they all shouted "Merry Christmas!" in unison. It was hard to get them all looking at the camera at once though.  

The MSP members donned Santa hats for the finale too--navy blue to match their trajes!


I have to commend the group on their hard work in preparing for the concert. Judging by how late their cars were in the parking lot for the end of November and most of December, they spent countless hours rehearsing the new songs and planning every detail, from the skit to decorating the church to favors for all attendees to the tamale sale that ran concurrently with the concert. It totally paid off--the only issues were a few microphone mishaps that are probably long forgotten by most everyone. Our hope is that the CHRIST in CHRISTmas was proclaimed loudly and clearly through the wondrous musical talents of all involved!

Comments