Posada-ing

I went to my first and only posada of 2011 yesterday. I'm not sure how it worked out that I got to attend all of them in 2009, but this year they are almost all after I go home for Christmas; last year was the same story. Oh well, I guess the dates just worked out right.

Yesterday's was pretty toned down, but fun anyway--lots of kids! A posada is a traditional re-enactment of Mary and Joseph's search for lodging in Bethlehem. It's a responsive chant between one group of people representing the pilgrims and another representing the innkeepers. Generally the parade winds through the neighborhood and stops at various homes, ending at one where the pilgrims are finally allowed to stay. Then the whole thing turns into a big party with Christmas carols and lots of food! Ours had one stop, the church itself.

I was one of the pilgrims.

Chris didn't want to let us in!

But finally he and the rest of the "innkeepers" relented!

Perla and Cristal, twin girls who I think are fairly new to the congregation. Their brother is involved in guitar, and theirs is one of the 3 houses we're building with Mayer Lutheran High School in a few weeks.

Hugs!

Eating their nachos; there were also three kinds of noodle dishes, soda, tortilla chips, molded chocolate pops on sticks, and goodie bags ("bolos") with peanuts, oranges, and candy. Side note: the bluish cup on the left of the table (and many others like it) was leftover from a dental clinic in April 2011. It's like those ones you use to rinse with; I thought it was so funny but fantastic that they were being used in ministry!

Passing out bolos.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments