The shepherds returned...

Quick update before a shower and then dinner with Rita...

This entry is inspired by the Christmas Eve sermon at St. Paul's, which I loved. Pastor Smith talked about the very last line of the traditional Christmas story: "The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told," (Luke 2:20). They didn't go shave their heads, put on sackcloth, and sell their possessions; they returned to their everyday work of being shepherds, but with a marked change--they were glorifying and praising God.

I had a great time in St. Louis for Christmas. I brought 2 large suitcases of my things home (thank you Southwest Airlines!); it almost all stayed behind which will hopefully lighten the load in my car on Tuesday. I was disappointed at the lack of snow--especially since El Paso had a White Christmas--but overjoyed at spending my favorite holiday with many of my favorite people. When I wasn't hanging out with family or friends, I mostly played Betty Crocker, like to the tune of 7 batches of cookies, but that was just fine with me!

And now I've returned to El Paso. My "last hurrah" group, 33 students and chaperones from Mayer Lutheran High School in Mayer, MN, arrived on the morning of the 27th and will be here until after dinner on New Year's Day. As is customary for them, we're building 3 houses in Anapra. I was assigned to Casa Tres. Today we put OSB and fascia on the roof, ran the wiring, and started the sheetrock. Casas 1 and 2 are slightly ahead of us I think, and we seem to have initiated a friendly competition, but the important thing is that 3 families have new houses for the new year by Saturday afternoon. Our family is 7 people: grandma, grandpa, 2 daughters, son-in-law, and 2 grandkids. I hope that my conduct both on and off the worksite qualifies as glorifying and praising God.

OK I stink...a hot shower is going to feel amazing! Until next time, blessings!

***I left my computer and my camera cord in St. Louis (yes, on purpose), so unfortunately I cannot yet share the pictures I have from Christmas or Mayer (my battery died today so it will only be 2 1/2 days of them). I promise I'll put up an entry to catch up on pictures once I'm settled in St. Louis though, and I'll keep giving you the 411 with no pictures in the meantime!

Comments