And you thought St. Louis was holy...

I thought St. Louis, home to the LCMS International Center, was the Lutheran Holy Land. I stand corrected! On Sunday I spoke at Trinity Lutheran Church in Altenburg, MO, one of the original seven colonies established by the German Lutherans who followed Rev. Martin Stephan south from St. Louis to Perry County. 

Let's back up a bit first, though. Trinity contacted Mission Advancement to request a missionary speaker for their Spring Mission Festival; I was asked to be that person. Altenburg is only about an hour and 45 min. from my house, but ever trying to capitalize on my travels, I requested a list of nearby churches to see if any had an opening on Saturday night. Coincidentally (or not), one of the pastors at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chester, IL, did his vicarage in the Dominican Republic! He arranged for me to present after the 6:30 pm service AND invited me to not just a circuit meeting, but a TRI-circuit meeting, on Tuesday of the week leading up to my visit. 

The tri-circuit meeting was held at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Percy, IL, a relatively new congregation that meets in a storefront location. We began with Divine Service, after which I had an opportunity to share my presentation. There were so many GREAT questions that I took up more time than intended, but it was worth it. I'm going back to Emmanuel to present to the congregation there on April 28! I joined the group for lunch at a Mexican restaurant across the street before heading home. 

Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Percy, IL

Saturday afternoon it was back to southern IL, this time bound for Chester (home of Popeye, apparently?). My photo and bio were on the back of the bulletin, and the congregation was invited to stay after worship to hear me speak. We set up a projector and screen right there in the sanctuary! One of the church members that lives 2 blocks away - a sweet, 89 year old LWML lady - was gracious enough to open her home for me to spend the night. I had my pick of THREE kinds of homemade coffee cake for breakfast. 

St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chester, IL

After a windy, hilly, 45 min. drive I began my Sunday morning by leading Trinity Altenburg's 8 am Bible class. I wasn't done, though! I also spoke during the sermon slot at the worship service that followed. The pastor specifically requested stories, so I drew on my previous missions experience and also reached out to my future teammates in the field. I wound up with 10 snippets and decided to conclude with Isaiah 55:11: 
For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
I was nervous, having never delivered this particular material before, but the Holy Spirit gave me the words to say and I got lots of compliments, so I guess it was OK! The pastor had invited me to stay for a youth group breakfast fundraiser, which I did, but the real treat was what came next: a private walk-through of the Lutheran Heritage Center & Museum (next door) and original log cabin that housed Concordia Seminary (across the street), with a church member who happens to work there.

Trinity Lutheran Church in Altenburg, MO

In front of the REAL thing, not the replica on the CSL campus.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Carol said…
This is so cool, Erin! I love your heart for the Lord and His people! Thanks so much for sharing!

Carol