Back in the Saddle

An appropriate title for a post about the week I just spent in Puerto Rico, given that roadside horse sightings were unexpectedly common. We even drove by an abandoned school being used as a stable.

But enough about equines...I just spent a week in Puerto Rico! The title of this post is also apt since the chief purpose of my visit was to assist with my first bona fide LAC short-term team. Having coordinated teams for the entirety of my 2009-2011 stint as a GEO in El Paso, TX, picking up the reins (no pun intended) - and picking up a drill! - was just like riding a bike. Although some aspects of the experience varied drastically from what I knew, some were exactly the same; I felt so in my element whenever I was planning for or spending time with the group members. 

I also aimed to get a feel for the Church's work in Puerto Rico and to do some assessment that'll be invaluable in mapping out teams for 2019 and beyond. Imagery will tell the story best:

CARD (Casa de Amparo y Respuesta a Desastre (House of Refuge and Disaster Response)), where most of the team worked and I thus spent the bulk of my time. 

 View from CARD. I'm told that prior to Hurricane Maria, you couldn't see the water in the distance. 

Sunday Divine Service #1: Iglesia Luterana Príncipe de Paz in Mayagüez, PR, just down the hill from CARD. Pastor: Rev. Gustavo Maita (he and his wife, GEO Missionary Ruth, were gracious enough to host me during my visit!). 

We gave church member Miriam a ride to church. I caught her peering up at the stained glass window before worship. 

Interior of Príncipe de Paz. 

Sunday Divine Service #2: Iglesia Luterana Fuente de Vida, Ponce, PR. Pastor: Rev. Richard Schuller...for 2 more weeks. Pastor Schuller recently accepted a call to a church near Fresno, CA, but thanks be to God, Rev. James Neuendorf, a recent CTSFW grad, will take over as missionary pastor in Ponce come February. His wife Christel is a Deaconess who'll be based in Ponce, as well. She currently spends ten days out of every month in PR; her November visit coincided with mine. 

We were privileged to witness Ricardo being presented with his confirmation certificate!

Me with the Schullers and DiLibertos (Rev. Anthony, 2nd from left holding baby Lucas, is another PR-based missionary pastor currently providing support in both Mayagüez and Ponce and slated to plant a church in Aguadilla in the next few years). 

Exterior of Fuente de Vida. 

The team arrived on Monday, but we wouldn't see them until the next morning since they handled their own transportation and lodging. That meant a day of finalizing last minute details and enjoying lunch, prepared Venezuelan-style in CARD's backyard. 
 
Group pic BEFORE. 

The team's projects included a roof (offsite), demolishing a crumbling porch structure, building bunk beds, and painting. Plumber Richie also worked on a few repairs that made use of his specific skills. Sarah's face lit up when the team leader asked who wanted to be on the demo crew!

Liz and Trudy, painters extraordinaire. 

Bunk bed #1 being assembled. 

SOMEBODY's gotta do some QC around here! (Speaking of quality...each bunk would eventually get a shelf AND a hook!)

I got my hands dirty, too. Love me some power tools!

Later in the week, I learned that washers have two distinct sides and found a calling in readying lag bolts for securing bunk bed posts to decks. 

Ruth (3rd from left) and Jamie DiLiberto (far left) normally get together on Tuesday nights for Bible study. Christel and I doubled their group!

Team leader Hilary, Sarah, and I. 

The church provided an authentic Puerto Rican lunch for the team on Thursday...

...followed by a presentation on the past, present, and future of LCMS mission work in Puerto Rico plus opportunities for ongoing involvement. 

Among other things (see below), CARD is used for English classes on Thursdays from 5-6 pm. 

As projects began winding down on Friday, I and others had time to help tidy up the front walkway. 

You don't have to look hard to find an iguana or two or three around the church/CARD grounds. 

Friday afternoon, nine of the thirteen team members joined Pastor Schuller and some of us other missionaries in Ponce for Salmos y Café (Psalms and Coffee), a weekly Bible study in the middle of the busy Plaza del Caribe mall food court!

Props to team member Sarah for reading a Bible passage in Spanish!

I checked off my 2nd Caribbean Winter League baseball stadium on Friday night at the Mayagüez Indios game. It was equally affordable but much tamer than Águilas games. The Indios won 3-1. 


Saturday morning music classes at CARD. Wishing I could be there for the December 22 concert!

The team left their mark on CARD in that the place is practically unrecognizable after all of the improvements they made to it. It was only fitting that they leave their mark in the form of signatures on one of the bunks!

 If you've never seen a rainbow from a plane, it was COOL! I'm not sure what to make of the rubber band on the control wheel, but pilot Rafael got me safely to San Juan on Saturday evening, where I stayed in a hotel and left for Santiago on Sunday morning. 

Hurricane Maria's remnants were evident from the air.: a swath of dead trees... 

...and blue-tarped roofs galore. 

Speaking of blue-tarps...thanks to a grant from LCMS Disaster Response, the PR team is coordinating 100 roofs to be replaced in one year. Since June, the tally stands at 35. Typically, families are provided with materials and are responsible for doing the work themselves or hiring a contractor. The one last week's team did is the first to use volunteer labor!

 Dusk settling in over San Juan. 

Aside from a slew of pictures (more here, including some from the team), I'm leaving with everything I came for and more: the affirmation that short-term teams are still my wheelhouse, a full heart from plentiful time spent bonding with my PR-based colleagues, and two lists: 1) things needed to get CARD up and running as short-term team housing; and 2) projects for future teams. I'm hopeful that the former will happen prior to the first of five planned teams in 2019 so that they can knock out the latter. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments