Gettin' Jazzy With It

I like jazz. I can't tell you the first thing about the genre, musically, or name any particular artists, but the strains of The Jazz Groove frequently fill my home (like right now). As I learn more and more about the cultural side of Santiago, mostly thanks to Instagram, I wanted to share two recent opportunities to take in live jazz music. Both were thoroughly enjoyable and helped endear me to my new hometown in a big way. 

1. Dominican Republic Jazz Festival: an annual, FREE, outdoor concert with stops in multiple cities. I felt like I was back in St. Louis where there's a free concert, movie night, etc. pretty much every night during the summer...except it was October and there was a giant palm tree next to the stage. There were two acts, a local guy and a Chilean group. During one of the former's songs, it seemed like everyone in the packed house started singing along and pulling out their phones to record. 


2. Lunes de Jazz: a weekly live performance, typically held at a cozy bar inside Santiago's main theater. The performers rotate, but you start recognizing them if you're a regular, I'm told. It wasn't crowded at all when we went (maybe a dozen people?), and the atmosphere was very coffeehouse-like. Admission is $3, so the only downside is that it doesn't start until 9 pm, island time (9:55 pm). 


Until next time, blessings!

Comments

cukin curiel said…
LUNES DE JAZZ thank you very much for choosing us in your publication.If you want to know a little more about our activity for 10 years we have been doing, we invite you to contact our social networks: facebook: lunes de jazz; inatagram: @lunesdejazz; lunesdejazz.com