That One Time When I Turned 32

My first birthday in the DR was memorable in all the best ways: good friends, good food, and good times. After a morning run at the botanical garden, I worked most of the day amidst numerous (welcome!) celebratory texts, Facebook messages, and visitors. Then, about a dozen fellow missionaries, seminary students, and seminary family members gathered at my house for "Friendsgiving." If you're unfamiliar with the concept, check out the dictionary.com entry here. Basically, it's another excuse to eat turkey (or in our case, chicken). Instead of pumpkin pie, we had chocolate cake!

Me with Alba (wife of Peruvian seminary student Elvis) and fellow missionaries Jo, Jamielynn, and Natalie. 


You can have tacos for Thanksgiving, right? 

Yay for IKEA dining room tables that come with two leaves and an empty bonus room adjacent to my dining room. 


I was serenaded with multiple traditional birthday songs in two languages. Nefta's rendition of Las Mañanitas reminded me of my El Paso days. 

The seminary students had the entire week off between trimesters, so the party eventually moved onto my back patio where some salsa dancing may or may not have taken place and lasted until 12:30 am. 

I felt so loved all day - and night - and am eager to see what the Lord has in store for me in my 33rd year. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments