Vacuum Therapy

It's true that my first Thanksgiving in the DR started with worship. 



It's true that we had turkey and all the fixings (I made a pumpkin cheesecake and a pumpkin coffee cake). 


Most of the seminary students. 

We went all out with tablecloths and centerpieces!

But while I did enjoy a sunset stroll through the botanical gardens with much of my DR family as per last night's Facebook post, my holiday didn't really end there. I went home and vacuumed! 

That wouldn't normally merit an exclamation point, but the vacuum is a new toy and I'm beyond thrilled at the ease of getting it here. For most Dominicans, mops and brooms alone suffice for keeping floors clean. I have two rugs, though, and with a cat that's going to shed like mad in this heat and humidity, a vacuum was non-negotiable. After learning that another missionary family with two dogs and carpeted stairs had ordered a vacuum from Amazon and used Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE) as a courier, I did the same. 

First, I created an account on the MBE website, which generated a shipping address in Miami for me. I ordered a vacuum from Amazon and had it sent to the Miami address, then sat back and waited. MBE sent me regular tracking updates; at one point I had to log in so I could assign a value to my purchase and upload my invoice. When I got the delivery notification, I went to the MBE office that's < 10 minutes from Cerro Alto and walked out with a shiny, new Dirt Devil. The only cost was a fixed per-kilo rate based on the weight of the merchandise. The whole process took just under two weeks. 

It was therapeutic to watch the canister fill up with fuzz from my rugs in no time flat, and to suck up all the dust bunnies and cobwebs that had accumulated in about 2 months time. I was literally floating from room to room. 

Basking in the cleanliness of my house, I deemed it time to put Christmas decorations up! Given that many homes and establishments decked the halls 2 months ago, I'm just getting in touch with the local culture, right?




The tree was a birthday present from fellow missionary and friend, Natalie. 

I stowed the vacuum last night thinking it'd be at least a few days before I needed it again. It was a typical morning in the Caribbean, though...after breakfast, I used it to suck up a teeny lizard that got in here somehow! I released it outside after sweeping a second lizard out the door with a broom :)

Until next time, blessings!

Comments