Busiest. Weekend. EVER.

I had six lists in a note on my phone related to events that took place my first weekend in the US:

Bachelorette Party: To Buy
Bachelorette Party: To Do
Bachelorette Party: To Bring
Bridal Shower: To Buy
Bridal Shower: To Do
Bridal Shower: To Bring

Hosting two parties in three days (planned largely from overseas) would be a lot in and of itself. That wasn't all, though. I also...

spoke at my home congregation (5 "Ministry Minutes" + a Bible class presentation); 
went to a trivia night; and 
reunited with the August team I hosted in Jamaica for a game night.  

Someone remind me whyyyyyy we had to spring forward an hour, too?!?

Needless to say, hang on. 

My sister, whose wedding is June 1, requested an escape room and a sleepover for her bachelorette party. I couldn't just leave it at that, though; I wanted there to be something she didn't know about, so I gave the festivities a Western theme she didn't know about until we got to dinner (BBQ) Friday night. 

One of the other bridesmaids bejeweled a plain white cowgirl hat I'd ordered on Amazon, which we unveiled in the parking garage. 


We pulled off a "Western Bank Heist" with 4 1/2 minutes to spare - yup, we were the outlaws, NOT the sheriffs!

Eight of us crashed at Kara's house. I made us Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls (with a wine bottle as a rolling pin...) and mango mimosas for breakfast. Setting up the buffet line, I only found 2 forks in her silverware drawer. The dish drainer was empty, but at no point did it occur to me that there might be more in the dishwasher! #reversecultureshock


The reconnect aspect of home service kicked off in earnest Saturday night with a short spiel before the opening hymn of 5:00 church. I wove in this verse of encouragement from 2 Thessalonians: "But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one."

Possibly against my better judgment, I signed up for my church's 175th anniversary trivia night. I couldn't resist, and evidently, neither could six of my high school friends (and one spouse). 

Sunday morning was a whirlwind: 8:00 Ministry Minute > 8:00 church > 9:30 Ministry Minute > Bible class presentation > 10:45 (sanctuary service) Ministry Minute > 10:45 (Living Stone) Ministry Minute > bridal shower set-up.



Thankfully, there were lots of hands for the last bit. The balloon arch was all my cousin Sidney (center) and cousin (in-law) Betsy (right). 


Kara adamantly told me "NO CHICKEN SALAD"...and she loooooves the controversial St. Louis staple, IMO's...so I ran with a pizza theme. My sister-in-law arranged flowers in empty tomato and tomato sauce cans for centerpieces, and the favors were mini jars of an Italian herb bread dip mix.

The Thornberry Mackenzie girls...for a few more months... (P.S. I'm happy to report there's a rolling pin somewhere in that pile of presents). 

Shoutout to these beautiful aunts turned party planning assistants extraordinaire of mine!

Eight out of 10 Jamaica volunteers ain't bad. It was NOT my night for Five Crowns or Code Names, though. Somehow I stayed awake the whole drive home...

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments