Lesson 1

I feel like I haven't given you a solid "newsy" blog about my day-to-day life in way too long, and I apologize. I'll try to keep this fairly brief. The last servant event until October is gone, so I am back to the office but it still feels like I am running everywhere at a million miles an hour. Some of the things I've been working on/will tackle in the coming days are:

--translating the website content into Spanish
--helping Chris and Ann address envelopes for a letter that will be sent to about 70 churches, asking them to include YLM as a line item in their budgets
--designing our fall quarterly newsletter
--soliciting restaurant gift card donations to be used as door prizes at this year's golf tournament on 10/28
--finishing work that was begun last summer at a San Pablo member's trailer with some Thrivent money, and doing a house blessing on Sunday afternoon

For fun I am reading Wuthering Heights. I'm not sure why but it was on my list of books to read. I am really enjoying the storyline, and also the fact that I will never have to write a paper or take a test on it, so if I miss a central theme or a critical detail, it's OK!

I also started teaching Spanish! I was approached last Thursday following our weekly staff meeting and asked if I would start teaching a few individuals once a week. I said yes right away, and immediately started planning things in my head. Today was lesson 1, for all of us--for my 4 students in Spanish, and for me in teaching! I don't have any curriculum materials, so I printed a handout from the internet and added some of my own notes. We learned about the alphabet, upside-down question marks and exclamation points, accent marks, and all of the question words (who, what, when, where, why, how, etc.). I loved it! I wanted to jump for joy when I could see that something clicked for somebody. Maybe God is trying to tell me something??? Next week we're going to do ser/estar (2 irregular verbs that both mean "to be") and some vocab, which will also require me to teach some more about nouns--definite articles, gender, pluralization, etc. With that we'll be able to do some basic Q & A and create some simple sentences. We might do some greetings too since it's supposed to be conversational, but that might be kind of a lot for 1 day. Eeek I am so excited I'm getting ahead of myself!

Speaking of next time, we're going to meet on Monday instead of Thursday because Marie and Philip are flying back to El Paso on Monday evening, then I'm driving to CA with them on Tuesday for the beginning of a short trip to see them and also some high school friends of mine that live in Houston. I can't wait!

There is still a blog about me being fully funded on the way, but I want to get a couple more questions answered by my contacts at LCMS first. Hang tight!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments