Who'd a thunk it?

This blog covers the week after I got back from CA/Houston. First off, I felt like I was in the kitchen ALL week between 2 potlucks and a breakfast meeting where I was in charge of goodies. I made Three Bean Salad for an office potluck (diaper shower for Damian's new baby boy), lemon blueberry muffins (below) and granola for the Thrivent board, and chocolate chip cookies for a church potluck last Sunday. The church potluck was in honor of the CTCR (Commission on Theology and Church Relations) immigration conference that was held in El Paso. You can read more about that in my September newsletter that will go out this week. All of the participants attended a bilingual mariachi service at San Pablo, with lunch to follow. I chauffeured some of the out-of-towners to and from their hotel, and wound up getting another St. Louis based job lead out of the deal!

Rev. Carlos Hernandez, the pastor who preached at Stephen's ordination and installed him as COO of YLM, asked me during lunch if I was interested in a position at LCMS. He received my resume forwaded to him from his supervisor. Yes! The way he described it, it sounds secretarial in nature but with many opportunities for making it into more that that--perhaps even doing some writing for TimeLine, the LCMS black ministry magazine, or helping to start a Hispanic ministry magazine. From there it's actually kind of a funny story. Pr. Hernandez directed me to fill out LCMS's online application. Easy enough, but when I went to do it the website would only let me do so for a specific position, and the one we had discussed wasn't listed. He said I should fill out an application for something else just to get my info in the system. I did so, and received an e-mail earlier this week telling me I wasn't qualified to be a staff auditor! Maybe I'll hear something this week about the ACTUAL job I am interested in!

That brings my job lead tally to 4. Who'd a thunk it?!? Somebody asked me a few days ago if I was scared of the unknown that is ahead, and I responded that I wasn't. How can I be, when it is clear through the many soon-to-be offers I have (hopefully) that God has my back? Besides the addition of the aforementioned new lead, the only other job news from this week is that I had another interview with CPH on Thursday morning: more questioning, some Spanish speaking, and I send them lots of reading material (YLM and San Pablo newsletters, papers I wrote in Spanish in college, documents I've translated from Spanish to English for LHMI, etc.). Now I hurry up and wait.


That same afternoon, as I was getting ready to take the CTCR participants back to their hotel, Krysia invited me to a cookout in Ascarate Park. My other plan had been to tab newsletters...so OK! I kind of felt like I was crashing a Mariachi San Pablo party, but it was a fun evening of volleyball, watching Pastor Stephen jump in the lake to fetch the volleyball, carne asada, and time with friends that I only have a couple more months with! Yes, I said "lake." The crazy thing about Ascarate Park is that there is a lake! Who'd a thunk it? A real, honest-to-goodness lake! How have I lived in El Paso almost 3 years, and driven by Ascarate Park a million times, and not known this??? For you St. Louisans, it reminded me of the the lake in Forest Park--you can fish and paddleboat and canoe in it! No lie--there is photographic evidence below! Too bad I discovered it so late in the game; I think paddleboating would make a lovely Sunday afternoon activity for U.S. based servant event groups.

In other news...the Cards are still hangin' in there by a thread. I'm wearing my jersey as I write this; they need all the help they can get. Tonight I am going to learn how to make gorditas. Zion Lutheran Church (I think my other newsletter article is going to feature Zion...I've THOUGHT lots about my September newsletter, I just haven't worked on it much yet!) is having a Fall Festival tonight featuring Mariachi San Pablo, and the Women of San Pablo are going to sell gorditas. The "Fall" part is a misnomer considering it was 90 out today, but I'm looking forward to it!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Carol said…
Another upbeat, wonderful blog, with so many things to look forward to. God is GOOD, and HE does have your back!!