Happy Flight

My exciting weekend kicked off Friday night with the this year's Annual Banquet for our local Thrivent chapter. It took place at Great American Land & Cattle (a steakhouse), and was mostly a success. I booked for 80 people, and we maxed out the slots! (Side note: there were TVs in the banquet room so I could get my fix of NLCS Game 5!). The meal was chicken or steak tampiquena + sides; I had the chicken and thought it was delicious. We did have some frazzled servers, but apparently it was the kitchen's fault and they made it right on our bill. Not that I'll be here, but my feeling is that they will go back there next year. We chose to provide our own dessert, so two others from the board and I made cookies. I made a double batch (7 doz. ish) of gooey butter cookies, and they turned out to be a HUGE hit! They ALL disappeared, and then people started asking for the recipe. I scribbled it down for a couple of them until the Communications Director approached me and said maybe we should just include it in the next newsletter. I do have to give credit where credit is due--the recipe came from my Aunt Casey.

Saturday the Women of San Pablo went to Deming, NM, for the LWML Rio Grande Zone Rally. It was a good way to spend an October Saturday. We left around 7:30 am since it's about 2 hours away. I drove, which was fine by me, and we arrived just in time for registration. Everyone in attendance received a beaded bracelet that can be used to explain the life of Jesus--cool concept but they are big on my tiny wrists! We wound up having the biggest contingent at 9 ladies, aside from the host congregation. Redeemer is tiny even compared to San Pablo, but they have a VERY active LWML chapter with 17 members. The programming started with a wonderful Bible study on some of the women who were a part of Jesus' ministry. We also sang hymns, heard reports from several District and Zone officers, had lunch, and were audience to a hysterical skit about a District convention that's taking place in El Paso next year. On the way back we stopped at a Texas Roadhouse on the West side of El Paso to pick up a donation--peanut bags and appetizer cards for every golfer at our upcoming golf tournament! It smells like peanuts in the office right now as I am typing this!

Then last night the Cardinals earned a World Series berth! Their motto of "happy flight"--winning on travel days--continues. In this case it applies to me too...I'm headed to the airport in about 15 minutes for my quick trip to St. Louis, aka "Baseball Heaven," for an interview tomorrow. Hopefully my return trip on Wednesday is just as happy!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments