Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow

Thus begins the Doxology, a stirring hymn of praise to our Triune God, often sung at the conclusion of a worship service or other gathering of good LCMS Lutherans. 

Used here, though, Doxology refers to a retreat originally designed for pastors that has since been adapted for pre-deployment missionaries and incorporated into week 2 of New Missionary Orientation. On Wednesday of last week, my "class" of eight transitioned from the LCMS International Center to the Marianist Retreat & Conference Center, where we benefited from 2 1/2 days of worship, fellowship, and training co-led by a Christian psychologist and a pastor. We also enjoyed the musical stylings of a cantor I could have listened to all day and the attentiveness and gentle spirit of an independent chaplain. 

(Before I go on, funny story: we were sharing the retreat center with another group...who happened to be on a silent retreat! We couldn't talk as we went through the buffet line for meals and had to eat on the patio or in the lobby if we wanted to converse!)

To me, Doxology was most applicable. Sessions ranged from "Putting the Best Construction on Everything" and "Resilience in Preparation and Service" to "Teach Us to Pray" and "Sentry Duty: Spiritual Warfare" - a balanced blend of tips & tools for holistic self-care. I'd say the main takeaway was that, as servants charged with cura animarum ("soul care"), we need to be especially vigilant to avoid any number of hazards to our own souls, warding off the Evil One's attacks with sound disciplines. I took copious notes throughout, but the section I circled and put a big asterisk next to is "IV. Workaholism isn't healthy and rarely leaves time for you and/or your family." I've only been at this about 2 months, but of the letters A. through I. that follow, I'm already guilty of the majority. I love what I'm doing so much and it comes so naturally to me that workaholism is a pitfall I'm going to have to watch out for - and ask others to watch out for in me - as I continue to network build and eventually transition to the field. (It's 10:02 pm. Should I be blogging?)

L to R: Aleksander Lawson, Rev. Jerry Lawson, Patty Lawson, Cosette Lawson, Juliette Lawson, Rev. Harold Senkbeil (co-leader), me, Rev. Phillipp Magness (cantor), Lucy Hoffmann, Rev. Peter Ill (chaplain), Peter Hoffmann, and Dr. Beverly Yahnke (co-leader). 

Doxology, especially certain small group exercises, deepened the inherent bond the eight of us already shared. We went our separate ways on Friday not knowing when we'll see one another again, but confident that the Holy Spirit will work through each of us, in His perfect timing, to move people of every tribe, nation, and language to finish the jubilant chorus: 

Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above, Ye heavenly host,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!
Amen. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments