Relationship Building 101

My weekend jaunt to Chicagoland exemplifies one of the pivotal aspects of my role as Volunteer Coordinator: relationship building. 

The focal point of my short but sweet time in the Windy City was St. Paul Lutheran Church in Mt. Prospect, IL. My relationship with St. Paul began in 2009, when I worked with an inter-generational mission team of theirs in my role as Servant Event Coordinator for Ysleta Lutheran Mission in El Paso, TX. I did the same with subsequent St. Paul groups in 2010 and 2011

Despite - or because of? - the fact that she's a Cubs fan, I especially bonded with one of the team members who came in 2010 and 2011, bringing one or both of her kids each time. I've since met her husband and stayed with them numerous times when in Chicago for whatever reason; they've done likewise since their son is now a student at St. Louis University and their son-in-law, at Concordia Seminary! I treasure their unmerited kindness and hospitality, as well as their advocacy for me with the leadership of St. Paul. The church continues to send teams to El Paso on a biennial basis, although I wouldn't be surprised if they ventured a little further south eventually :)

I look forward to bonding similarly with the short-term team members I meet in my new vocation, and to establishing such longstanding partnerships between US congregations and the church planting endeavors that are happening across Latin America & the Caribbean!

I spoke for about 5 min. at the start of all 4 weekend services. The pastor also graciously included a couple of my slides in the announcements that scroll as worshipers file into the sanctuary. 

The table in the Narthex where I stationed myself afterwards to greet people and answer questions.

These dear friends (see 3rd paragraph above) took me to the Chicago Botanic Gardens on Sunday afternoon, followed by dinner at a teeny hole-in-the-wall Italian place with homemade everything. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my stop at St. Peter Lutheran Church in Arlington Heights, IL, on Monday morning before heading home. It also fits the title; I worked with their group in 2009, but the pastor still remembered me just as I did him. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments