Erin Goes West

Good morning from beautiful Denver, CO, the furthest West that I'll be driving before I head home. (Emphasis on "driving;" I fly to Las Vegas tomorrow.) I've never seen more cornfields or traversed more highways and byways with a "W" after them.

It was a whirlwind week, but OIM's project management software helped me stay on top of my engagements at all times. I tried to document every stop, so buckle up!

Leaving Pella, I made my way to my host home in Jefferson, IA, where a STEAK dinner awaited. My presentation at Trinity Lutheran Church wasn't until 10:30 Wednesday morning, so the couple I stayed with hosted an AM open house; several church members stopped by to meet me in a casual setting over a scrumptious buffet breakfast.

Trinity Lutheran Church in Jefferson, IA. 

New friends from Jefferson. 

After I wrapped up, there were 2 cars full of items (bras, backpacks, quilts, washcloths, hygiene items, etc.) donated at a recent LWML convention that needed unloading; somebody jokingly asked me if I needed anything. Coincidentally, I had realized my travel-size toothpaste was running low and I didn't have another. I was planning to stop at a Walgreens somewhere before I ran out, but it was unanimously decided that I merited a tube from one of the boxes. God always provides!

Toothpaste in hand, it was on to Storm Lake, IA...with a spontaneous detour to St. Peter Lutheran Church in Newell, IA, thanks to a roadside sign. It happened to be one of the two weekdays that the pastor is in the office; he eagerly accepted the Adoption Agreement I left with him and agreed to pray for me. It also just so happened that St. Peter's part-time secretary is the regular secretary at the church I was bound for that night!

St. Peter Lutheran Church in Newell, IA. 

After joining my Storm Lake host family for dinner, I presented at St. John Lutheran Church on Wednesday night. Some of the church ladies provided coffee & dessert afterward, which allowed for an informal way to get to know some of those in attendance and continue the conversation.  


St. John Lutheran Church in Storm Lake, IA.

There really is a Storm Lake in Storm Lake! I had plenty of time for a walk along its shores before I needed to leave for Thursday night's gig in Auburn, NE. 


Another drive, another detour! The pastor at Trinity Lutheran Church in Odebolt, IA, was not only in, but on his way home (to the parsonage next door) for lunch, which he graciously invited me to join his family for without skipping a beat. 

Trinity Lutheran Church in Odebolt, IA. 

Nevertheless, I still made it to Trinity in plenty of time for the event the congregation had planned: a potluck dinner followed by my presentation. Can I just say that I like eating sweet corn better than driving by it? 

Trinity Lutheran Church in Auburn, NE. 

The set-up in Auburn. Great crowd for a summer weeknight, I thought!

A couple from Trinity opened their home to me for two nights, seeing as how I had no plans on Friday. They live on a gravel road and enjoyed educating this city girl in country living. I got to feed a three month old calf and would have gotten to go to the county fair had it not been rained out; we had pizza and watched movies instead!

On either side of me are Loli (from Honduras) and Eric, along with their my fellow house guest Bernie, an itinerant evangelist on his way to Texas at the end of this month. 

Around midday on Saturday, I left for Holdrege, NE, where I stayed with one of the pastors and his family that night. My Sunday morning involvement consisted of speaking for 2-3 minutes at the conclusion of both services and presenting at Bible class in between. 

Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church in Holdrege, NE. 

My hosts took me to lunch at Runza (when in Nebraska...!) before I continued my trek. The high plains - and their lack of cornfields - were a welcome sight. More on my time in colorful CO soon. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments