Pit-stopping in Pella

I'm not sure when my sister-in-law started talking about Pella, Iowa. The way she described the quaint Dutch town stuck with me and made me want to go, though. It didn't work out the last time I was in Iowa, but I deemed it worthy of an hour-long detour on the way from the Chicago area to Jefferson, IA, on Tuesday afternoon. It was :)

Welcome to Pella! I arrived too late for the last tour of the day that takes you to the top of the windmill, but I was able to walk through the Historical Village...

...sans these puppies. 

Brushing up on my milkmaid-ing skills. 


Pella revolves around Tulip Time, the largest tulip festival outside Amsterdam (or so I'm told). The Tulip Tower is a permanent fixture in the town square. If you're looking for something to do May 2-4, 2019...

Waiting for the glockenspiel to chime 5:00 pm. 

I'm not sure if this was purposeful or not, but the benches on the side of the glockenspiel that faces away from the street are S-shaped, just like Dutch letters, the most popular treat from Pella's bakeries (and rightly so!). 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments