Ready, Freddy?

Unfortunately, not quite.

My feline friend is settling in well to his temporary home at my parents' house. 


But, as I mentioned in my last newsletter, I've hit a roadblock in what I thought was the simple process of bringing him with me. Don't get me wrong, HE'S STILL COMING. He's been my companion for nearly nine years and will go a long way toward making my Caribbean abode into home. Allow me to explain, though. 

In order to enter the country, he needs a rabies vaccine that is current but older than 30 days. Apparently, there is a three-year type and a one-year type, even though the tags are only ever valid for one year. His last one was on 4/23/16, aka within the past three years, but based on the manufacturer of the serum, the type is inconclusive. His vet recommended that I get him (re-)vaccinated ASAP so the clock can start ticking. My amazing family is going to take care of that since I'm out of town until Sunday. In the meantime, I need to determine the best course of action for reuniting him with me once the 30 day window is up, since I'm leaving in 17 days. The options as I see them: 

  1. Quarantine. (I think, anyway.) I can't seem to get a hold of anyone in Customs, but it's my understanding that they may simply hold him someplace until he's been cleared. Assuming the conditions are humane and it's not horrendously expensive, this may be the best solution, especially since I'll be at the regional retreat for about a week of the time he'd be in limbo. 
  2. Ship him as cargo. It's possible to ship animals through airlines or private companies. I'd need to do more research into the options, but essentially, someone would drop him off in St. Louis once the 30 days were up and I'd pick him up in Santiago. 
  3. Wait until I have visitors from St. Louis. He would continue to stay at my parents' house until whenever my first visitors from home come. This would probably be the least risky scenario but the hardest on me since it could mean several months to a year of not having him. 
Added to the above, his vet needs to sign a Certificate of Heath Examination for Small Animals - which then has to be certified by the MO Department of Agriculture in Jefferson City - within ten days of him traveling. 

As you might imagine, this huge question mark is weighing heavily on me right now. Pray that the situation is resolved speedily and in the best interests of all! 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments