The F-word

It's not what you're thinking...I mean FLEXIBILITY!!! This is something we tell every team at orientation (it is slowly working its way into my anal, orderly, structured bloodstream with every passing day that I spend in El Paso/Juarez) and also something that my group this week from Belvidere, IL, and I REALLY put into practice. We stopped by to see the site on Sunday after church and...there was no slab. Typically, the slabs for YLM houses get taken care of by the families/Genaro the week before a group is going to come build, but this week there was some confusion. We were building at Cristo Rey, on the back patio where we THOUGHT there was already concrete everywhere. Of course, though, they picked the one spot where there WASN'T to put the new Sunday school rooms! So, we poured a slab on Monday, Mexican style (see below)! It was obvious that God knew what He was doing the whole time though, because we even had time to paint on Friday, and Rosy said they are going to have Sunday school in the new room tomorrow!

Aside from building, the group also did pedicures and some informal VBS activities. The work was sparse at times because it was a group of 17 and a smaller house than normal so it fit into the allotted space, so I had the chance to be around for some of these activities. I'm glad I did, too, because my 2 favorite moments of the week happened on Wednesday after Sara finished reading the kids the story of the little children coming to Jesus. She asked them what they would say to Jesus if He were here with them right now. One little boy answered that he would thank Jesus for everything--his mom, his dad, the roof over his head, the opportunity to come and learn more about Him, etc. I was kind of surprised but mostly just touched at what he said, considering the conditions he is undoubtedly living in, and in a neighborhood ridden by gang violence and crime to top it all off. THEN, after Sara had taught the kids the song, "Santo Espiritu Llena Mi Vida," they wanted to sing something for us, and they sang songs from the VBS that my group did last summer. The remembered the actions and everything and it made me smile so big!

Here are some of my pictures from the week, plus a bonus one of my 4th of July apple pies ;)


Flatten that dirt!

Bet you didn't know there were volcanoes in Juarez!

Chris taught me how to do electrical a couple weeks ago so this week I taught some of the kids how to install boxes and I wired all the outlets myself.



This is Rosy leading some of the kids in a song from my group's VBS last summer.

The group left the foot-washing stuff in the church overnight and someone stole a couple bottle of nail polish...it's all good though because they left some syrup!!!

Cindy painting Pastor Martinez's toenails!

Don't cry over spilt paint...especially when it's smiling at you!

The finished product, slab and all!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments