Thinking Outside the Suitcase

Greetings from St. Louis. You didn't know I was coming because neither did yesterday's birthday girl - my mama :)

Before it gets eclipsed by the Brazilian Alliance missionary orientation I'm missing the start of in Santiago, let's not let Missions Unpacked get swept under the rug. I really can't describe the 4-week online educational experience much better than this Reporter article, but here are some personal insights. 

It all started with a brainstorm about how we could best translate the on-field volunteer experience to on-screen that morphed into the DR online mission education team that Courtney & I hosted AND it's global cousin, an as yet unnamed event that I and some others began planning in May 2020. The name came to me during a morning run at the garden. With components in various stages of completion, Missions Unpacked was officially christened in late October or early November. From there, it was a sprint to the mid-January finish line: working with LAC's regional communications team and leadership on an overview video, dreaming up engaging supplemental content, editing and testing the participant-facing website (still live!) and email sequence, and debating the virtues of various video conferencing platforms. I held my breath as the registration tally climbed...and climbed...and climbed...to over 230! 

LAC was up first. Our YouTube videos debuted at midnight on Monday of week 1, and a welcome email graced participants' inboxes. On Saturday, January 23, I hosted (emceed) LAC's live presentation.

I got to sit back and enjoy Eurasia's. Chelsea Irwin told a compelling story about how God used the pandemic - and the young man pictured - to ease a major worry of hers going into foreign missionary service and grow His Kingdom. 

I co-hosted (ran tech support) the final two live presentations, Africa and Asia with the Schultes and Cimas, respectively. 

Last week, we planners switched gears to statistical analysis and debriefing. Keep the suitcase in the closet: Missions Unpacked is here to stay. A kids' version is in the works for this summer, and we'll improve upon the pilot and bring you a sequel in the fall, wrapping up before Advent. Given how much fun the pilot was to put on, and its irrefutable success, I can't wait to dive in. Watch both my and LCMS Mission Work's various communication platforms for registration information in the coming months. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments