Way Better than School

Symposium week is upon us - six of the craziest days of the year in Santiago, when church leaders from across the region converge for a deep dive into a topic selected by the seminary faculty (this year: Himnario Luterano and the role of song in the liturgy and in the Church). Throw in students, the local team, and missionary support staff (this includes me), and the meal head count comes to ~80. More on that soon. 

Before I could fully shift into Symposium mode, I got to host these 10 lovely humans - two staff members and eight students from Concordia University in Seward, NE. I can't brag on them enough; they rolled with the punches and were a delight to be around. I wasn't completely and totally exhausted by the time they left, for a number of reasons, although they might have been, after a full week of "mission education." Despite being in constant learning mode, this immersive cross-cultural experience was, and I quote, "way better than school." Anecdotally, I think the students got out of the trip exactly what was intended - a picture of what life + work looks like for an LCMS international missionary, and an inkling as to how God may be calling them to get involved in said work in their future vocations as church workers or otherwise. I think I did a decent job documenting the breadth of our activities (with the exception of Friday morning, when I uncharacteristically stayed home with a nasty cold), so I'll let the photos that follow do the rest of the talking.  

I was dragging already when the group arrived Wednesday night, but you can't NOT take a picture by the heart.

We jetted off to Licey after Christian formation classes at Concordia Lutheran School in Palmar for the group and a Symposium planning meeting for me so the team could get to know the ministry at Iglesia Luterana Cordero de Dios before jumping in later in the week. 

It made my heart so happy to see team leader/former missionary to Panama/adjunct seminary professor Rev. Dr. Brian Gauthier meeting his students face-to-face for the first time. 

Visiting the group home for the first time. By the end of the week, the team members would pop over at will during free time and interacted with the "kids" like old friends.

Art student Abigail led everyone in drawing boats step-by-step to go along with "Jesus Appears to Seven Disciples" from John 21.

I'm not sure who had the most fun...

Play-Doh was a hit, too, and helped reinforce the message that God's Word has the power to change things (as Play-Doh changes form when manipulated). 

We split up for visits that afternoon; Jeancarlos took four team members and I to lead a devotion at the baseball field in Palmar and then spent at least an hour veering very off topic at the home of some church members who live basically next door to church. I was miserable but uncomplaining, silently thanking God that the husband felt so comfortable asking Jeancarlos all the hard questions.

Blessedly, the group didn't need me on Friday. But after a morning in bed, I felt well enough to join them for Rafael's weekly pre-volleyball practice devotion in Cienfuegos, and I'm glad I did. Cienfuegos is a densely populated, and vulnerable, barrio with tremendous potential. Aside from this particular activity, Rafael also meets with a smaller group (~15) for youth group on Thursday afternoons. The hope is to begin services of the Word soon.

We played a musical chairs-esque game of running from "house" to "house" to illustrate that God is preparing a place for each of us in His heavenly mansions.

A few days in, the group was getting really good at introducing themselves - in Spanish, no less. Pictured: before "Sunday" school at Pueblo Nuevo on Saturday. 

Tracing hands and feet - with shoes ON, thank you very much - drew many smiles. 

May's joint youth group activity happened to fall while the team was here. I was excited for them to see how our congregations are working together to rebuild an endeavor hit hard by the pandemic and engage a challenging age group. 

The craft room was hot and crowded, but I wasn't complaining about time to talk through experiences thus far and answer some burning questions. 

Some nights just call for a froyo stop. 

Introductions AGAIN - this time after church in Pueblo Nuevo (Rev. Joel Fritsche decided for me where the team would worship by inviting Dr. Gauthier to preach!). 

I made the team leave for the Km. 28 psychosocial rehab hospital at 6:45 am yet amazingly heard no complaints. Even when I hyped up Venezuelan food and wound up feeding them BBQ because the Venezuela place is closed on Mondays (#fail), they were troopers. Pre-deaconesses students Christina (left) and Rosanna (2nd from left) were the last to get a personalized experience: lunch and errands with two missionary deaconesses (the team's agenda had previously included activities that catered to the two future teachers and two couples in the group, respectively). 

The ruta de murales has changed a bit since I discovered it way back when before it was cool, but it remains one of my favorite activities to do with visitors.



The dancing continued on the way to the beach with the group home kids on Monday. 

It was a perfect beach day and I wish we could have stayed longer...

...but we had a surprise double birthday pizza party to be at/help host. Happy birthday to team member Bekah (left) and seminary wife Berkis (right)!

We left for the airport Tuesday morning at 6:30 am, and it's been all Symposium all the time ever since. At present, my trunk is full of groceries from this afternoon's PriceSmart haul, and my alarm is set for 1:20 am so I can get up and get ready for airport pickup #1 of 4 tomorrow. Your prayers for a smooth arrival day are appreciated. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments