I Got All My Cousins and Me

I highly recommend sleeping for 12 hours. Waking just before 10 am the morning after my travel nightmare, I was rested and refreshed for some cousin fun. Fueled my gourmet burgers from Bailey's Range, my sister-in-law Chelsey, nephew Reed, Connecticut cousins Megan and Ryan, and Megan's daughter Bella took on the City Museum. The word "museum" doesn't even do it justice; it's a wildly imaginative indoor/outdoor playground for all ages - maybe not all sizes, but I have to give props to Ryan who, at over 6 ft., kept up with Reed, Bella, and I as we squeezed through four floors of caves, tunnels, and even a giant whale. 

There's a rooftop with a pretty incredible view, too. 

And a Ferris wheel!

You run up the side of the slide to the right of the rope in the far right of the frame and then...

Megan, Ryan, and Bella had missed their 11:10 am timed tickets to ride to the top of the Gateway Arch due to their own travel nightmare. We entertained thoughts of taking a rain check for after our City Museum adventure, but while there, Chelsey got an iPhone notification that one of the tram cars had gotten stuck. We happily settled for a photo sesh and sticking our feet in the Mississippi. 



Friday night, Clan Mackenzie took over the Kirkwood IMO's (a controversial St. Louis-style pizza joint). My aunt, the mother-of-the-groom, commented that together with the previous night's rehearsal/pub trivia after party and the upcoming nuptials, this wedding was taking on biblical proportions! The ceremony was lovely, and I was honored to have a small part in it as a reader. Scott & Andrea chose Philippians 4:4-9:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Congratulations to the newest Mr. & Mrs. Mackenzie, who, as I write this, are enjoying some of what LAC has to offer at a resort in Mexico!

We kept ourselves entertained while waiting for family pictures. 

Between the ceremony and reception, I got to see my sister's new house before reconvening with extended family to ride out the final hour or so. The reception was at a banquet center complete with the usual suspects: DJ, open bar, buffet dinner. 

Almost all the Mackenzie girls of my generation - and the next. 

So many people were capturing this moment at one time that no one has a truly great photo of the entire cousin crew.

Even though American Airlines cut my short trip shorter, I got to see lots of my people - including some who don't even live in St. Louis but happened to be in town. Following are those visits I (or someone) remembered to get photo evidence of!

Laumeier Sculpture Park with Courtney and the Warren family, former missionary colleagues. 

Pizza and a bounce house paradise with my best friend Marie (VA) & family, including my godson Ned.


Ted Drewes with longtime friend and mentor Ellen (Chicagoland).

I wish I could say getting home was easier than getting there. I discovered I love the PHL airport, but I was there four hours too long while American Airlines tried to track down an MIA first officer, landing at almost midnight instead of 7:45 pm. I've resigned myself to the disappointing reality that flying anywhere this summer is going to be a headache - all the more reason to get excited that my next trip is a road trip. One week from the time I click Publish on this post, I'll be nearing the end of a 5 hr. drive to Punta Cana to meet 11 members of my mom's side of the family for a weeklong mini-reunion at the beach. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments