If It Isn't One Hurricane, It's Another

First Fiona; now Ian. 

Let me preface this by saying that my CNN morning news briefing reported two [known] hurricane-related casualties in Cuba, 76 in FL, and four in NC. The DR didn't see a drop from Ian, so I have zero grounds to complain; please don't hear me doing so. Thousands are mourning the loss of property, livelihood, and loved ones, and let's not forget the very real aftermath of Fiona in parts of PR. This blog, however, is a place where I recount #missionarylife, and however tangentially, Ian figured into recent happenings, or lack thereof. 

I'm supposed to be with a team right now. My meticulously arranged schedule showed exactly three free days between the Hageman team and team #2 of 4, expected last Wednesday. American Airlines proactively contacted the team leader about potential delays and cancellations, so I prepared to receive them Tuesday in advance of the storm if need be. Unable to pivot quickly enough to do anything else - and who can blame them? - they elected to chance their original flight. When it, and their rescheduled flight on Thursday, were both cancelled, the most prudent decision was to cancel. 

They were my plans, so all of a sudden I had no plans. Right off the bat, that meant a Krey kid birthday party on her actual birthday instead of on the day that was most convenient for her family to host the team for dinner. 

Phase 1: Picnic dinner at the botanical garden. 

Guess how old Lina is turning? 


Phase 2: Cake (carrot w/ cream cheese frosting by yours truly) and ice cream. The Krey kids' aunt Tirzah normally makes their birthday cakes, but this is the 2nd time I've filled in while she's been out of the country. Back in May, I made a "chocolate M&M cake" for Azi (left). I told their mom Becca she'd better start thinking about what kind she wants; Tirzah will still be on home service come her special day on 11/1 ;)


Team cancellations always bring a range of emotions. I was transported back to the early days of the pandemic when we used to cancel batches at a time, and I'd always need a day or two to mourn. It was a quiet weekend, but I'm not mad about the gift of extra mental space to prepare for hosting a 9-person Castillo Fuerte VBS team in Peru next week. Other bonuses: starting a new Bible study with my group of 4+ years; worship at my local congregation; a smattering of regular meetings I thought I'd miss; free time for memorizing Greek verbs, relaxing, and catching up with friends; and tuning in live for week 1 of my first ever (online) crossword puzzle tournament. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments