Last Woman Standing

Turns out that in 36 years I've perfected the art of staying dry while near water, if Saturday's "birthday hike" is any indication. I like getting wet if I'm showering or at the beach/pool (IF conditions are favorable), but I despise walking with squishy socks or unnecessarily toting a towel and dry clothes. You also get cold - the literal worst -  if it's shady and/or there's the tiniest semblance of a breeze. OK, rant over.  

We went to a standby spot ~15 minutes from our neighborhood: El Saltadero de Jacagua. 


We stopped for cake at this swimming hole before turning around. Yes, you read that right: cake. Who carries a chocolate chip panettone and a plastic knife into the woods? Becca Krey, that's who!



Becca, me, and Johanna.

I've hiked El Saltadero before when it's been bone dry. As you can see, this time it was not. By the time we'd reached this point, Johanna and the kids had all "accidentally" gotten their feet wet in the creek we had to cross multiple times and decided to just roll with it. 

Them:





Me: *steps precariously from rock to rock, leaps to shore as soon as possible, and pats self on the back for buying waterproof hiking boots*

Even Becca caved eventually, so I became the last woman standing. 

This picture doesn't do justice to how gorgeous the light glinting through the foliage was, especially on the way back to the car as dusk was setting in. 


I spent the bulk of the day both before and after the hike snuggled in bed or on my couch, with Freddy and my nerdtastic read of choice (Through the Language Glass: Why The World Looks Different In Other Languages), stopping at intervals to read all of your Facebook posts, texts, and WhatsApps. I'm looking forward to, as one of my well-wishers put it, a "Happy year!"

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments