Buhhh buh buh buh bummm bummmmm

I crossed off a new state last weekend: Minnesota. What took me to the Land of 10,000 Lakes?

a) I needed a few days to decompress from the Symposium
b) While a majority of my colleagues are away on vacation or home service this summer, I'll be here, burning the candle at both ends with four DR short-term teams capped off by a 5th in Panama; and
c) My sister-in-law Chelsey graduated from Bethel University's Nurse-Midwifery program!

Thankfully, I heard my phone ding with Tirzah's text at 4:02 am - "Here" - and rolled out of bed! I had set my alarm for 3 pm, if that tells you anything about how badly I needed a mental break. The trip was smooth sailing from there. 

I took the light rail straight from the airport to the Mall of America, stashed my luggage in a locker, and within minutes, found myself in line for the Pepsi Orange Streak with my 7 yr. old nephew Reed. I'm not much of a shopper, but I was awestruck at how you could spend an entire day in a mall without even entering a store (after more rides and blacklight mini-golf, we finally did: The Lego Store!). 

Taco Macs. 

Any hotel that has SCRABBLE on the reception desk gets a 5-star rating from me.

Sunday morning, we lazed at the hotel playing Farkle and every version of UNO known to man until it was time to get ready for graduation; I went early with Chelsey and saved seats for her cheering section. 


Chelsey's hooding. 

L to R: me, my brother Kyle, Reed, Chelsey, and Chelsey's parents Rick & Shelley. Note Chelsey's footwear: evidently it's a tradition that dates back decades for midwifery grads anywhere to wear red shoes. 



Monday was Memorial Day, so we did as the locals evidently do and headed to Minnehaha State Park. I'd Googled the famous falls and thought it took a hike in the woods to get there. Nope! It's just off a paved path, in the middle of the park in the middle of the city! We hung out until just after lunch, when Kyle, Chelsey, and Reed needed to head to the airport. I didn't fly out until the following morning, so I Ubered to Maple Grove to wander its cute downtown strip before meeting a former missionary friend of mine for dinner. 

Thanks, Capital One, for the free travel perks! Only wish I could have spent longer in the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse on my way home. 

Chelsey's next step is a job at the Charleston Birth Place in Charleston, SC. I know they would covet your prayers as they sell a house, (hopefully) buy a house, and move 12 hours away from the only support structure they've ever known. I, for one, can't wait to go visit and cross off another state, but I just moved a few blocks (we're getting there, I promise) and that came with enough anxiety. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments