Sunshine on my Shoulders

[Current location: Baltimore, MD {layover @ BWI!}]

What better song to listen to when driving through the foothills of the Rockies on a gorgeous day?

Before I headed to the Northern Colorado Ladies' Retreat in Estes Park with two short-term volunteers turned friends, though, I frontloaded my trip to the The Centennial State with four other visits:

1. Bethlehem Lutheran School, Lakewood, CO

When I hosted "Vicar Ben" and his wife Amelia as part of a Mission Education team from Concordia Seminary St. Louis in January 2023, I semi-jokingly warned the whole group of students I'd be hitting up their vicarage congregations and first calls on my next home service. Guess I made good on my threat (promise?) in at least one case :) Ben connected me to DCE Sarah about leading a Wednesday chapel service, then created a Google Sheet for teachers to sign up for individual classroom visits as an afterthought. Every single slot filled up!

Ben & Amelia must have been taking copious notes on Dominican hospitality; they were the most gracious hosts I could have asked for.

I started my middle school (6th-8th grade) with my "missionary story" because the long version goes back to when I was their age.

If I were a fly on the wall of Bethlehem's lunchroom...I wonder if I'd hear the Spanish meal prayer from time to time? 

Ben & Amelia had late afternoon obligations, so they suggested I head to nearby Sloan's Lake Park for a walk. It didn't take long for me to shed my fleece and roll up my pantlegs, but I'm not complaining.

2. Redeemer in the City, Denver, CO

Rev. Duane Meissner (front row, far right) and I overlapped in LAC for a short stretch and duked it out in Words with Friends for a longer stretch. I was honored when he invited me to interrupt his inner city congregation's Thursday morning Bible study to share what God is doing in the region nowadays. My longtime friend Carol is coincidentally part of RITC’s after school “SOAR” tutoring program; she met me there, chauffeured me around the rest of the day, and gave me a place to crash for the night. 


3. Our Father Lutheran Church, Centennial, CO

Rev. Micah Steiner graciously settled for a recording session in lieu of a Sunday visit. OFLC's resident tech guru edited an hourlong conversation between Micah, Director of Faith Development Cassie, Benevolence Committee member Claire, and I into a 3-5 min. video that I think aired while I was at the retreat, and I can't wait to see how the May podcast turns out.

4. Lutheran High School, Parker, CO

The three chaperones (2 Spanish teachers and a biology teacher) who'll accompany a team of LHS Spanish students to the Dominican Republic this June treated me to dinner at Honey Pig Asian Cafe. The conversation flowed back and forth between generally getting to know one another and answering DR questions that would have been a chore to hash out via the LCMS's team management software.

I was determined to help Carol & her husband finish a puzzle before bed. Mission accomplished! We had a few precious hours in the morning before my ride to the mountains rang the doorbell, but that’s another post for another time. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ! 

Comments