Whom shall I fear? I am yours.

"When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you. When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come forward and address the army. He shall say: “Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be terrified or give way to panic before them. For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” --Deuteronomy 20: 1-4

It was announced last week that the Mexican army is upping the number of troops in Juarez by 7000, and ever since then I have been getting lots of phone calls asking my opinion and also lots of e-mails, especially from people who have been here in recent weeks, saying that they are thinking of Chris and I/praying for us. Also, the jefes here are YLM have decided not to send groups over for the remainder of March. This is nothing other than a precaution because it is such a drastic change and we don't know if the cartels will have any sort of backlash, but I thought it warranted an entry stating my read on things, as one who has been in Juarez almost every day for the past couple of weeks. Ideally the situation will get better faster, which is what all of the pastors at our mission churches are saying, but it's better to err on the side of caution. We gave the group this week the option to stay or go, and after much debate, they all confidently opted to cross the border. I think they're glad they did because the only comments I have heard this week have been to that effect...we are glad too because the 12 of them managed to complete 2 full houses and have a great time doing it...pics soon!

Trusting in our almighty God, I don't feel any less safe than I have any other time I've been in Mexico. In fact, the extra troops have been there for a week or so already, and today was the first time I noticed a distinct difference, aka more officers than normal on the roads, on streetcorners, and at the border crossings. Still though, we did our work, went to the market, and crossed back into the U.S. unscathed. This probably would have been the case for the rest of the March groups, but we have to do what we have to do sometimes. I am saddened that so many are missing out on an awesome experience because of the evil that prevails in Juarez right now, but I am so grateful for the army of people that is praying for my coworkers and I. Even more than that though, I am so blessed to have the LORD fighting on my side. I didn't see any horses or chariots today, but I did see some Jeeps loaded down with guys in camo, rifles aimed and ready to fire. However, I was oddly calm at the sight because I know who was watching over us. I think the song that was playing on the radio as we went through the checkpoint on the way in this morning says it best--it's by Casting Crowns and I think it's called "I am Yours"--anyhow, one line asks, "Whom shall I fear? I am yours."

Basically I'm doing just fine and we are monitoring everything and doing whatever we can to keep ourselves and the groups safe, but thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers--keep it up!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep doing Gods work. You all are in our prayers.

Mike & Leslie Beuschel
St Mark Lutheran/Journey of Faith
Kentwood, MI