Give a Day, Get a Disney Day

So I'm sure you've seen those commercials for the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day program where if you give a day of service to a "participating organization," you get a free pass to a Disney park? I kept seeing them, and I kept thinking about if the mission would qualify as a "participating organization." It wasn't until after my mom told me that the Bethesda Thrift Shop she volunteers at in St. Louis was included in the program that I looked into it further; it turns out that YLM did qualify since it is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, so I signed us up!

That's right, you can do a search through the Disney website, and you will find Ysleta Lutheran Mission!!! The link that shows the search results for zip code 79907 is http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/index?name=Give-A-Day-Get-A-Disney-Day-Search. I just entered our opportunities yesterday, and already this morning I had 3 e-mails from potential volunteers!!! Definitely was not expecting that kind of a response, but praise the Lord that it appears many more people are going to hear about the awesome Gospel-based work of YLM through the program. You can read more about the whole deal and search for opportunities in your zip code at http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/index?name=Give-A-Day-Get-A-Disney-Day, but I wanted to mention what I think is one of the coolest things: if you can't use your ticket, you can donate it to organizations like the Boys and Girls Club!

In other news, I promised I would keep you updated as I began my 2nd term support-raising, so here's the latest. I had LCMS send me my reports yesterday, and I had 22 thank-yous to write! I had fun with cardstock and stamps this morning :) The downside is that my goal went up $3600 to $26,555 and I didn't find out about it until yesterday; the amount that LCMS pays the mission for my housing each month doubled. So, I still need to raise $17,530.12. I am confident that God will continue providing for me every step of the way as he did through my first batch of support-raising (and my first year at the mission), and I'll continue to post updates on my progress!

I also had a major scare yesterday when I thought I had lost my wallet/keys. I really just left them in the thrift store when I was in there for like 2 minutes helping someone unload a few boxes of books, but I completely forgot that I ever went in there and I was freaking out. I mean freaking out. Chris and I both thought that had gotten stolen off my desk so while I was in my apartment cancelling my credit cards, he was roaming the neighborhood hoping that whoever had them had taken the cash and tossed the rest. It was him who finally realized where they really were after about an hour and a half, right before he was going to come tell me he couldn't find them...thanks Chris! So, now I just feel stupid for not remembering where all I had been, but I guess the important thing is that they're safe. And I am getting new credit cards in 7-10 days...oops! ;)

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

tchrchill said…
I love the Disney thing! So, now I can earn lots of free days to give to Boys and Girls Clubs. Great idea -- and already you have drummed up some business.

As for the wallet/keys, I know that horrific feeling! Your heart just sinks!! I'm so glad that you found them, and that somehow Chris
remembered where they might be. You two make a good team in that office. One day, he needs your help with dogs, the next, you need his with wallets. Glad it turned out all right. Have a great week!
(Oh and congrats on your one year at YLM anniversary.)
Carol (you know, Chris' mama)