Gettin' Sauced!

Quick update, since I haven't posted in a few days, and I did something of cultural noteworthiness yesterday: learned how to make enchiladas the authentic way! The Women of San Pablo held their 2nd of 3 fundraisers, an enchilada sale. For $5, people could get dine-in or carry-out plates of 3 enchiladas, rice, and beans. After much debate at our last meeting, we decided to make the enchiladas the messier and more time-consuming, but more authentic (and tastier) way. Instead of rolling shredded cheese up in corn tortillas, lining them up on a sheet tray, ladling sauce over the top, sprinkling them with more cheese, and baking them, we first dipped each tortilla in the sauce, then fried them, THEN rolled them, topped them with more cheese, and popped them in the oven to keep warm.

After helping peel garlic--the homemade sauce consisted of red chiles, water, garlic, and salt--my job was to roll the enchiladas. I had lots of fun learning a new technique and chit-chatting with the ladies in the kitchen, and I didn't even mind my fingers getting all oily, saucy, and cheesy; my one complaint is that the tortillas were HOT when they came directly out of the pan and to my station! I had to let them cool off for a few minutes before I rolled them, unlike my partner in crime--she had long fake nails so she couldn't feel anything as long as she was careful!

It was a slow afternoon, probably due to the holiday weekend, although I don't think we did horribly, especially since some of Pastor Heimer's family from NM was in town so we had a BIG to-go order right near the end of the sale.

Time to get ready for church in Juarez now...I look forward to seeing many of you soon as I'll be in St. Louis from this Wednesday through the 7th!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments